• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With the state of the market currently is it still worth it to slab toners?

16 posts in this topic

With the Sunnywood Simpson collection recently having been sold as well as all the other major collections coming to market is it worth it still to get toners slabbed?

I have a pair of monster Morgan's but just feel the market is saturated with the sunnywood Simpson sale and I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on the matter. Is anyone still slabbing? Have ppl stopped? How is the toner market in general?

If it is truly a monster toned piece, it would be very wise to have the coin certified. Most collectors are going to want the coin certified if they are going to pay a decent sized premium for the color. True monsters are in demand in my opinion. Lesser quality toned coins have been hit or miss and the market seems less stable with erratic pricing. I'm sure others might disagree. Shane has been having pretty good luck lately.

As for saying anything more, pictures are needed.

If you are looking to sell it you will get a better price if it is slabbed. If you feel that the market may be too soft and you want to wait until the market is better, a slab is more likely to preserve the coin and keep it for changing or deteriorating.. And when you are ready to sell it will already be in a slab (and possibly at a lower cost to slab than it will be in the future.)

I am seeing strong prices for really nice stuff so I think if the coins are marketed correctly or are put in front of buyers who prefer super rainbow toners...I don't think the sunnywood/simpson coins being sold will do much to deter strong prices. Do you have any pictures and what do you grade your raw monsters? I hear the term monster a lot and it doesn't fit in all cases though you know what you have so I will assume you have top shelf coins we are talking about... :headbang:

" but just feel the market is saturated with the sunnywood Simpson sale"

It's not like that (market saturating) group of coins brought weak prices. ;)

" but just feel the market is saturated with the sunnywood Simpson sale"

It's not like that (market saturating) group of coins brought weak prices. ;)

All I got from that collection was the catalogue!

With the state of the market currently...

OK----stupid question from me, but what is "the state of the market currently?"

True monsters have multicolor toning that's vivid and bright, completely natural and comes on a coin that was high grade before the tarnish set in. The pastel coloration............not so much.

I would advocate having our host slab them because true monsters get a star for eye appeal every time. ATS still leaves that to interpretation.

Even with the Sunnywood and other giant auctions sucking the dollars from the pockets of collectors, a well timed auction placement after the first of the year should result in max value.

Monsters tend to wind up in strong hands and don't hit the market like widgets do. Accordingly, I think that the investment in grading is worthwhile.