• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber Quarter - Type I, II, III

9 posts in this topic

I've been reading a bit about my Barber quarter that I purchased recently, and I keep seeing references to Type I, II, and III. I haven't really found a great deal of information about them, however. So, my questions:

1. What is the difference between each type?

2. When was each type used?

3. Why did they change the types?

4. How was each type used (was one type for proofs, the others business strike, were some business strikes struck from a proof-only type like the Franklins of 58 and 59?, etc)

5. Please point out some easy identifiers to distinguish the types. It seems like most of differences are on the reverse - are there any obverse markers as well?

6. What type is my recent Barber purchase, posted here:

IMG_9758copy_zps5c2a0896.jpg

IMG_9769copy_zpsd2a15a84.jpg

Great questions and I am sorry for not responding sooner, but my favorite toy,

my iPad2 was going crazy, couldn't open up any sites, just my emails.

It miraculously self healed itself this morning... All it did was ask me to sign

into my Apple account. Presto !

Regarding the reasons why the different types were used: was to extend Die life.

Simple answer to a perplexing question. They tweeked the REV in 1900 ( as memory

serves me correctly ) by extending the left facing wing tip to run past the E.

How such a minor change could possibly affect Die life, is beyond me.

The previous changes made in 1892 were ( I assume again ) for the same reasons,

extend Die Life.

I am not a Proof collector, I have owned a couple here and there, but I never made

a comparison between the regular issue a Proof.

Thanks for posting the questions and also thanks to all who posted the detailed

drawings from the DLRC Barber Quarter book.

BTW, I love the P/L 1900-S you posted.

Varieties I & II created a nexus for stress and was likely where cracks or other damage originated. Variety I would also encourage fills in the small part of E. Variety III moved the cuts of the wing into a open field where there was less mechanical stress on the the die steel.

We never see most of the defects that occurred ....we get to see only what was "missed."