• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889-S & 1887-S Morgans

14 posts in this topic

Those are 2 very tough date coins. The first appears to have a tiny bit of wear on the hair near the ear. The other seems Unc however (and I'm hoping it's just the pictures) both appear to have been polished. Unc or near Unc coins MUST have some luster and certainly decent unbroken cartwheel when you rotate the coin 1/2 inch in a circular motion.

I'm going to guess Unc details but I hope I'm wrong.

Welcome to the boards!

I think both of those are AU, and both have been polished and cleaned. I would estimate that they are worth about $35 each - if you can find a buyer at all. Those are common dates, and widely available. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the opinions, however I think my pictures are not doing the coins justice. When I roll them aroung under the light the fields are very mirror like and have good reflection. Could the pictures look like polished coins due to my picture taking ability? Just wondering, I really apprediate the opions as I am not as experienced as I would like to be.

Thanks for the opinions, however I think my pictures are not doing the coins justice. When I roll them aroung under the light the fields are very mirror like and have good reflection. Could the pictures look like polished coins due to my picture taking ability? Just wondering, I really apprediate the opions as I am not as experienced as I would like to be.

Judging from your pictures, both coins presented are AU and have been polished.

What you are seeing as a result of polishing is a smooth reflective surface. An unaltered coin will exhibit cartwheel reflections. That is as you rotate the coin under a neutral light you will see "spokes" of reflectivity looking like the spokes of a wheel that circle around the center of the coin.

A polished coin does not exhibit spokes because the surfaces of the coin have been smoothed by polishing.

Carl

Even comparing to a new penny the cartwheel will be apparent on the penny. A polished coin is, well........polished looking. Like a silver spoon after a good cleaning.

The whole objective for most coin collectors is a high degree of preservation (marks) and an even higher degree of originality. That's why cartwheel on a coin is necessary, that's what you're paying for.

There's a place in numismatics for altered coins but the price must reflect the state of the coin being so far away from original. A few bucks over melt is pretty harmless.

Welcome to the boards!

I think both of those are AU, and both have been polished and cleaned. I would estimate that they are worth about $35 each - if you can find a buyer at all. Those are common dates, and widely available. Sorry for the bad news.

I agree that the pieces have been polished, and I agree with your valuation. I would not, however, call these common dates.

Both coins look AU details (polished) to me.

If you think the lighting might be influencing my opinion...try new photos.

Try 2 lights and make sure your white balance is set correctly. Get the lights up high at 10 and 2 o'clock . Try to show some luster bands.

I don't think it will change my opinion but at least we could rule out bad lighting technique.

I agree with the rest... and I also believe that there is not a lighting type, or special way to photograph a coin that makes it look like these two look..... heavily polished. sorry for the downer