• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repunched Mint Date (RMD)

21 posts in this topic

Here's what NGC says about this variety:

"The upper loop of a secondary 9 is seen within the lower loop of the final 9. In later die states, a chip forms inside the top of the final 9."

I can't tell if you have one. The photo is too small and the coin is dark. It's good that you're looking into what you have and researching a bit. That's a step in the right direction. See if you can find pictures of the variety to match up to yours. Also, I assume you've purchased a loupe. If not, buy one. It'll really help with variety attribution. I don't want to overwhelm you, but look into The CherryPickers Guide.

Thanks!! Yes, I have a 10x loupe. When I am not sure, I use my scanner to magnify. I don't know if I can find this variety I will look again. I found out about the repunch on Wexler's coin and die variety. Not sure if it was this date or not but I will recheck.

It just looks like a worn number 9 to me. Usually a repunched date will shows parts of the second punch! Still a little too hard to 100% vetify with the pics.

The last "9", in the lower part of the nine, there is a chip....

FWIW...

Here's what NGC says about this variety: [...] In later die states, a chip forms inside the top of the final 9.".

FWIW = not monetary value, but meaning "for whatever you feel my comments/opinions are worth to you as information."

A few things:

1. The 1899 5c FS-301 (repunched date) description says that a die chip forms in the upper part of the 9. It looks like yours may have a chip in the lower part of the 9, however...

2. You need to poke it with a stick to see if it's just some impacted crud or corrosion filling the lower loop of the 9, but in either case

3. This coin seems to be G-VG details with severe environmental damage, worth less than $1.