• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1912 Indian Eagle - GRADE REVEALED

18 posts in this topic

Much nicer than my 58. I'll go with 63.
And the reason I went with 63 is because of the hits on the cheek and the hits on right leg on the reverse. A wonderful looking coin btw Joe, one of my favorite designs.

My grade is MS-63. The hits on the cheek and rims are about right for that grade.

Here are two pieces that are graded MS-63 from NGC and then PCGS. I'll emphasize that these coins were hand picked. There are lesser examples for the grade out there.

191310O.jpg191310R.jpg

1932EagleO.jpg1932EagleR.jpg

Thank you all for your guesses and input.

NGC graded this MS62. I'm very happy to have added this coin to my collection.

MS62 ???

Who took the pictures?

That is either a extremely under graded piece or those photos have to be hiding something.

MS62 ???

Who took the pictures?

That is either a extremely under graded piece or those photos have to be hiding something.

A large majority guessed MS63 and sight-unseen I will take NGC's opinion over that. But either way, even if the photos aren't hiding anything, I don't think the coin is "extremely under graded".

Looking at the picture on my main computer monitor (My #1 machine has been out at the computer hospital getting a virus cleaned off of it.) I would say that the coin might be a bit frosty and dull when viewed in person. That could account for the MS-62 grade.

I have an 1854 Three Dollar Gold Piece which is graded MS-63. Looking at the number of marks and luster, I would say that coin should be an MS-64, but the color is a bit funky, and I don't think that it was the result of doctoring. The coin simply was made with an unusual gold - copper mix and took on a different look that probably prompted the graders to drop it a point.

I bought the coin at a Scotsman auction. This is the description in the catalog:

"Classic golden-blonde patina shimmers with satin texture that shows no more than a few trivial shallow ticks in the obverse field. Feathery slidemarks can barely be seen on Liberty's cheek but might play a role in the overall grade."

I'm no expert and have only looked at a few hundred of these online, but I was attracted to the condition of the fields and the color. The coin looks very clean compared to others I've seen "around" this grade. This coin does have nice luster. Not booming, but nice. As you can see from the photos, there are tick marks on the cheek and some in the fields. Nothing deep and I didn't think I could do much better unless I went up in grade a couple notches.

I have no plans to re-submit this coin. I'm very happy right where it is. This coin is for my type set, but I really like the design. I can see myself adding more in the future, but before doing that, I have some more studying to do. I also wanted to get a nice example in hand so that I could study it.

I do appreciate all the comments and feedback on the coin.

That's most likely a James description and if it is I would say it's spot on.

Agree. I have purchased 4 gold coins from Scotsman auctions and have found their descriptions to be accurate.

I posted the picture in this forum because I personally believe it to be at least a 63 and I wanted to get more experienced opinions. For a 62, I felt the fields were very nice with regard to luster and tick marks.

I'm not good with gold but I think it looks good at 62. It does have a nice clean look but there are a few small nics obv and rev which keeps it at 62.

Congratulations on a great pick up. That is a very high end MS62. I am in agreement with many posts--easy MS63.

Carl