• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

searching some cent rolls

11 posts in this topic

Bought a few rolls from a member here and had some time to check for doubled dies, RPM etc.

I didn't find what I was hoping for but that's roll searching for ya ;)

Anyway, I did find a couple of interesting 64 cents.

What caused these?

1-

IMG_3937_zpsbcd9ef4e.jpg

2-

IMG_3932_zps5f05bef6.jpg

3-

IMG_3930_zps88f6dfab.jpg

Looks like wax residue. Does it come off easily?

Nope, I gave them an acetone bath. It's metal.

There's a void above the metal displacement in the second image.

I think it is dried grease. I use a toothpick to loosen it and then a blast of air to remove it. It is very common in OBW lincolns rolls. Many times it protects the coin and separates it from the other coins in the rolls. I have discovered many MS66 coins after the grease has been removed.

I think it is dried grease. I use a toothpick to loosen it and then a blast of air to remove it. It is very common in OBW lincolns rolls. Many times it protects the coin and separates it from the other coins in the rolls. I have discovered many MS66 coins after the grease has been removed.

I gave them an acetone bath. Wouldn't that have removed any grease?

No idea.... but really nice close up photos. How did you take them ?

Thanks, I used a Canon t3i with a 105mm macro lens and a reversed 25mm prime lens.

False alarm :blush:

I thought an acetone bath would remove wax, it did not.

As Ray said, It was wax on all three coins. And as Jim stated, came off easily with a toothpick doh!

Thanks!