• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which US coin -circulating, pattern, or commemorative - has two suns on it?

19 posts in this topic

e1cnr is correct. Bill was right, but then added that there were only solar rays on the obverse.

There is a sun on the obverse to the right of the capitol; then the obvious one on the reverse.

David Lange's was the most fun...perhaps he's getting into top pun form in preparation for a week in Baltimore.

e1cnr is correct. Bill was right, but then added that there were only solar rays on the obverse.

There is a sun on the obverse to the right of the capitol; then the obvious one on the reverse.

David Lange's was the most fun...perhaps he's getting into top pun form in preparation for a week in Baltimore.

Since Bill was "right", it was incorrect and misleading to write "No correct answers yet". I feel cheated.

Bill was correct until he extended his answer to make it incorrect....But I'll send you a consolation prize --- a ticket to this year's World Series game 6 between Washington and Baltimore .... Fantasy baseball.

Curiously, the sun is rising on both sides of the DE. If it were made 'medal-turn' it might even be called the same sun....or Panasonic...?

Bill was correct until he extended his answer to make it incorrect....But I'll send you a consolation prize --- a ticket to this year's World Series game 6 between Washington and Baltimore .... Fantasy baseball.

Curiously, the sun is rising on both sides of the DE. If it were made 'medal-turn' it might even be called the same sun....or Panasonic...?

He made a guess, which was correct, even if HE incorrectly thought he was wrong (because he thought only the rays were showing). But his guess was his guess, which was correct.

The bullion pieces were not made from the original models -- or even from a nice proof coin of the design.

The bullion pieces were not made from the original models -- or even from a nice proof coin of the design.

The original struck coins from the early 20th century also exhibit this somewhat odd foreshortening of Liberty's right arm. When a zoomed view is taken out of context of the overall design, it does look mighty odd.

Yep....shows that a design model cannot be reduced (or enlarged) too much before perspective has to be adjusted. (Maybe Miss Liberty had to build some muscle to lift those little bullion tokens...?)

Since Bill was "right", it was incorrect and misleading to write "No correct answers yet". I feel cheated.

Yeah!!!!!!

I'm gonna call on my own comment pedantic...

But couldn't you say that every star design is a sun?

BTW, if you've never seen this video, the size of some stars will blow your mind:

Watched the short video. It's mind boggling to think about those ratios. Very cool!