• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879-P Morgan - Great Strike

20 posts in this topic

The luster looks quite subdued, but I don't know whether that's due to the imaging. If the images are accurate in that regard, the coin is too washed out looking for a 65, and maybe even for a 64.

The luster looks quite subdued, but I don't know whether that's due to the imaging. If the images are accurate in that regard, the coin is too washed out looking for a 65, and maybe even for a 64.

+1

Are the coin and the cloth it's sitting on light brown, as the images show, or is your white balance off?

If the coin was fully lustrous in hand, I would probably grade it MS65. The images, however, make it looked stripped/dipped out, in which case I would say MS63 and possibly lower if the luster is as subdued as the images suggest.

While the strike is excellent, the luster still looks off to me. And the latter is far more important and influential with respect to the coin's grade.

MS64 max - the luster holds it back from gem status even with the newer images IMO.

Initial pics show no luster at all. Strike is very strong. If significant mint luster is present, easy MS66-67. Impaired mint luster MS64.

Carl

After reading the other comments I will have to agree that the luster does look muted. The cartwheel looks very spread out. I have to agree with the 64 comments although it wouldn't shock me if it came back 65.

The pictures make it difficult to judge. From what I can see, there are very little if any distracting contact marks. The strike is strong. In the second set of pictures, there is a line on her neck that I didn't see in the original pictures. If that is indeed on the coin and not some photo issue, than I think 64 as a max.

With the white balance being off in all the photos, I can't judge the luster. Like many said prior to my input, luster will determine how it grades. I just can't help thinking that the white balance is hiding contact marks as well.

Do you plan to submit for grading? If yes, can you update this thread with the results when they are available?