• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Lovers Question

5 posts in this topic

I started collecting Lincolns and mostly buy RED because the values are so much higher, but, the red browns can be so much more appealing. The colors are great. RED is just RED. So why do you think the RED coins have higher values, when toned silver can command such high prices over white coins?

Over time, red copper tends to mellow to red-brown and/or brown. So older copper coins are less likely to be red and are scarcer, as such - in some cases, much scarcer.

Likewise, beautifully toned commemoratives are much scarcer than color-free examples or those with blasé color.

Generally speaking, in each of the above cases, it is the rarer coin/state of preservation which commands a higher price. There are, of course exceptions, such as when a copper coin has turned to a gorgeous combination of red-brown hues and as a result, sells for more than the price of a red one.

One thing you might consider when collecting copper is price. I Collect Lincolns and do have several very nice coins in red which I paid a premium. All it will take is one spot to destroy that red price to a red and brown price, and would be a tremendous hit on some of these coins.. I also have mostly R/B coins which are very close in appearance to each other which makes a nice matched set. I have a 09 S vdb which is a ms 66* R/B coin which cost just under $7000 there is a 66 red for sale in the current Heritage auction and it is already over $19,000. It is my opinion that it is not $12,000 better looking than mine. A nice R/B set is as nice looking as is any red set in my opinion.