• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Candidates for Inclusion in the HK So Called Dollar Reference Book posted by DrDarryl

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would be really impressed if it's included in the book's update!

I've initiated discussion (at a So Called Dollar (SCD) discussion website) about the the inclusion of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals in the update to the Hibler-Kappen book.

No previous references or documentation has been available on these medals. I performed research on the Eisenhower appreciation medals and documented my research findings in a book that was released back in February 2014.

In a nutshell, this US Mint medal series has been hidden from the public eye for over five decades. It really is an interesting story on how it was kept hidden; however I'm glad that I was fortunate to uncover this mysterious medal series.

There are a total of 17 medals in this White House initiated medal series. 10 of the 17 medals should be considered for SCD classification. The medals were struck to commemorate President Eisenhower's trip to: South America, Summit in Paris, Japan, Korea, Hawaii, Paris (another trip), and Portugal. Frank Gasparro created the designs.

These medals were struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia ahead of his trips and have the distinction of being handed out by President Eisenhower himself or by his direction though his top military aide during the trip.

The medals were also provided to individuals who were recognized by high ranking military officers or State Department officials in assisting with a specified leg of the President's visits.

From the above stated trips, each medal was stuck in silver (same fineness, size, and weight as a Morgan or Peace silver dollar). The "Paris" medal was also struck in 18K gold with the same dies.

That leaves 2 more medals to describe. The "June 1960" was a generic medal that was struck for President Eisenhower and replaced an initial order for "Alaska 1960", "Formosa 1960", and "Philippines 1960".

The final medal is "Newport 1960" for Newport, Rhode Island, the location of President Eisenhower's Summer White House.

I named this newly uncovered medal series, The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals. There are also 3 half-dollar size medals (used by President Eisenhower during 1958 -- 1960) and 4 medallion size medals (used by President Eisenhower during the last few days of his 2nd term in office).

One more thing, official mintage are known. As well as the number of medals destroyed just before President Eisenhower completed his 2nd term in office).

Image below is an encapsulated/graded NGC specimen (plate medal in my book). Various reverse designs are also shown. DDE-XX numbers are the catalog numbers assigned from my book.

16005.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

I have the book -- old and new editions.

I'm suggesting that you first state a clear definition, that will limit your subject to items which you feel actually belong to the subject, and not simply any medal someone wants to call a "so-called dollar."

Introduction of why the subject matter is being raised in my journal entry

"I've initiated discussion (at a So Called Dollar (SCD) discussion website) about the the inclusion of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals in the update to the Hibler-Kappen book.

dis·cus·sion noun \di-ˈskə-shən\

: the act of talking about something with another person or a group of people : a conversation about something

Background of the subject matter in my journal entry. Establishing a starting point to understand the subject matter:

"No previous references or documentation has been available on this entire medal series. I performed research on the Eisenhower appreciation medals and documented my research findings in a book that was released back in February 2014.

In a nutshell, this US Mint medal series has been hidden from the public eye for over five decades. It really is an interesting story on how it was kept hidden; however I'm glad that I was fortunate to uncover this mysterious medal series. "

The subject matter:

There are a total of 17 medals in this White House initiated medal series. 10 of the 17 medals should be considered for SCD classification. The medals were struck to commemorate President Eisenhower's trip to: South America, Summit in Paris, Japan, Korea, Hawaii, Paris (another trip), and Portugal. Frank Gasparro created the designs.

"These medals were struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia ahead of his trips and have the distinction of being handed out by President Eisenhower himself or by his direction though his top military aide during the trip.

The medals were also provided to individuals who were recognized by high ranking military officers or State Department officials in assisting with a specified leg of the President's visits.

From the above stated trips, each medal was stuck in silver (same fineness, size, and weight as a Morgan or Peace silver dollar). The "Paris" medal was also struck in 18K gold with the same dies.

That leaves 2 more medals to describe. The "June 1960" was a generic medal that was struck for President Eisenhower and replaced an initial order for "Alaska 1960", "Formosa 1960", and "Philippines 1960".

The final medal is "Newport 1960" for Newport, Rhode Island, the location of President Eisenhower's Summer White House. "

Subject matter expanded and bounded:

"I named this newly uncovered medal series, The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals. There are also 3 half-dollar size medals (used by President Eisenhower during 1958 - 1960) and 4 medallion size medals (used by President Eisenhower during the last few days of his 2nd term in office).

One more thing, official mintage are known. As well as the number of medals destroyed just before President Eisenhower completed his 2nd term in office). "

Closing with visual support explanation:

"Image below is an encapsulated/graded NGC specimen (plate medal in my book). Various reverse designs are also shown. DDE-XX numbers are the catalog numbers assigned from my book."

My journal writing style is an introduction to the subject matter. Its is not written to advocate or sway the reader. My intent is not to justify the inclusion. My intent is to raise curiosity.

The reader is left with a taste to seek more information. Hence, the desire for additional knowledge transfer has taken hold.

I worry about items like the SCD's and so on and so forth with so many medals, commemoratives and mine rounds, that the coin world is being beseiged with items that sully the real McCoys.

Indian Peace Medals are another one. IPM's I guess we will be calling these. I feel there is a place for the Presidential MEDALS, and the place is not beside coins of the realm so to speak.

Currency, Proofs (copies of currency) and those 'coins' which are actual money, should remain in the coin world.

Anything else is welcome at the 'show', just let's call them what they are. Medals, Commemoratives and so on and so forth.

Just a dried up ole sea capt'ns slant on the subject.

Capt. Brian

If you don't have the HK book you may visit the online reference at : http://www.so-calleddollars.com/

At the bottom of the introduction webpage are the SCD restrictions.

The DDE Appreciation Medals are commemorative in nature and were awarded on official presidential visits.

from the online reference at : http://www.so-calleddollars.com/ Restriction No's 6 & 7:

6.No purely presidential or political medals.

7.No school, college or athletic medals; no coin club or U.S. Armed Forces medals.

These medals were struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia ahead of his trips and have the distinction of being handed out by President Eisenhower himself or by his direction though his top military aide during the trip.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th President of the United States and at the same time Commander-in-chief of the United States Armed Forces.

Before becoming President he was, of course, a five-star general and Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during WWII.

In my understanding of Eisenhower's military background, it seems to me, these so-called "DDE Appreciation Medals" should be more closely aligned with what are known as Challenge Coins.