• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Struck through grease?

25 posts in this topic

very late die state

if grease involved, frequently letters or part of device missing

(die is sunken for raised parts of coin - grease would fill the holes and/or quickly be pushed to the outside)

Ok, thanks.

I thought it was unusual in a SMS.

Is see some of the halves from this set are MS Cameo, starred or look PL - here's the half

IMG_0005_zps1987182a.jpg

The coins of other denominations have no bearing on the wear and tear of certain dies.

Chris

lol - Yeah, I realize that but I thought these sets were special :sorry:

What amazes me is that the lettering still looks good around the edge but the focal point of the reverse is what wore out. I would think the letters would start to look bad also

Those cases are not sealed. Somebody switched out the SMS nickel for this dog struck from worn-out dies.

That explains a lot, especially given the picture of the obverse.

Those cases are not sealed. Somebody switched out the SMS nickel for this dog struck from worn-out dies.

I assumed that reflectivity in the surfaces was compromised by the die condition (I.e. explaining the lack of reflectivity in the OP's coin), but his hypothesis does make a lot of sense.

I assumed that reflectivity in the surfaces was compromised by the die condition (I.e. explaining the lack of reflectivity in the OP's coin), but his hypothesis does make a lot of sense.

The surfaces are interesting but, after doing some reading on these sets, I think CaptHenway is likely correct - sneaky people :mad: