• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 vs 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative

5 posts in this topic

Since the Coin Explorer is in its usual state of disarray with incorrect listings running rampant, I was curious as to the difference in value between the 1892 and the 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative.

The 1892 had a much lower mintage, from what I have gathered, so I would assume that the value in any given grade would not be the same if all other qualifiers were equal.

Any assistance in this?

Thanks.

According to the Gray Sheet the values for the two coins are virtually identical until you get to MS-66 where the 1893 is valued at $850 as opposed to $800 for the 1892. Most collectors don't care very much about these coins, and only those who are going for the complete 144 piece set generally buy both.

The mintage difference is negated by a lack of demand for either type, and the number of survivors might be different from the mintage numbers. These coins were tossed into circulation, and perhaps more of the 1893 coins were used an ultimately melted than the 1892 pieces. In other words mintage figures don't always tell the whole story.

I think that collectors underestimate this coin when it is in a high grade and has good eye appeal. Many Columbians look like they are AU when they are graded Mint State. Many of them also have ugly toning or have not been improved by dipping.

I actually wanted a matching set of these. I bought the 92' & 93' in MS64 grades. That was merely at my budget for these as they get pretty pricey after that. Both are basically valued the same. NGC puts the 92' at about $20 more in these grades. I paid a little more for the CAC as the buyer wouldn't come down but I only wanted one and I paid it. These are my two.

1892ColumbianHalf_zpsc46b8f6f.jpg

1893ColumbianNGCMS64_zps153cc590.jpg

Bobby those are very close to being identical. Very nice!

Bill, after I had asked this question and snooped around a little more I can see that you are right on the money, as usual.

I will post a guess the grade on a 1892 a little later and see if folks around here might think it would go MS65 or above.

Don't worry; it will not be the 1893 toner I was asking questions about. :grin:

Thanks.