• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50th Anniversary Kennedy Proof 4 coin set

15 posts in this topic

Does the fact that there is no mintage limit changed your decision on purchasing them? Limit of 5 per house... does that really matter? Will people still make a killing on ebay with these? All these questions and more answered on October 28th on the same bat channel at the same bat time that normally locks up their website.

Actually, only 2 of the coins with be proof coins. The other 2 will be uncirculated versions with special finishes. All 90% Silver alloy's though.

I expect that the initial offering will have some aftermarket opportunities that the big dealers will be taking advantage of such as all 70 Sets, all First Strike/Early Release 70's Sets, the requisite "Special Label" sets that the TPG's will invariably offer, etc., etc,

Long term durability will only be affected if the final sales fall well below expectations due to a lack of interest in perpetuating these so called "Modern Rarities" that the US Mint has been producing lately.

I'll buy one set because of the nostalgic value of the JFK half dollar to me. When I was young collector I eagerly anticipated this coin. I just hope that the mint sends me some decent coins and the junk that they usually send me. And no, I'm not looking for a PR or MS - 70. I'd just like to get something presentable.

Here's what I got when I ordered the 2009 UHR gold piece to show you what I mean.

2009UHR20O_zpse257f1e3.jpg2009UHR20R_zps92c80af6.jpg

And here is what I got when I ordered the Jefferson First Spouse coin.

2007Jefferson10O_zpsbced1504.jpg2007Jefferson10R_zpsfc115e3d.jpg

It seems like some guy at the mint says, "Hey Joe, get out the problem coins. We just got another order from Bill Jones!"

That top one looks whizzed (I think) my guess is some worker said, "Hey!!! we got another order from Bill Jones, I'm going to shine one up for him specially!!!! I hope he likes it" or something to that effect

No, the top one is suffering from die polishing.

The second is suffering from mint stupidity. I sold it years ago, for melt (at a tiny profit), and I'm sure that it has since gone to the pot the mint should have used on it.

I don't think much of the First Spouse program, but I love the Draped Bust design. That's why I bought it. That experience ended any interest I might have gotten from the First Spouse program.

I'll be ordering just one set. I'm not interested in the flipping market. Since the mint is planning to have plenty of sets already available on the opening date, if there is a market on eBay with special labels, etc...I think it will be short lived.

I am new here. I see that you like the Kennedy coins. Why are they so important to you? I am just asking to learn a few things. I am not trying to sell you anything. What value would any Kennedy coins be to a collector like YOU? Would they be interested in any type of Kennedy coins? I would appreciate a sensible reply

I don't remember if I received a post from you regarding Kennedy's half dollars. I think you would really have a good ideal about these half dollars. I wanted to know if I should just cash them for face value. Most of what I have are the bicentennial half dollars. I have a couple of silver as well. I really need your feedback. So far from the advice I have received I intend to cash them at the bank. I see them on ebay for over one thousand dollars which is much more than what I would get at the bank

Thank you

Why are they so important to you? I am just asking to learn a few things. I am not trying to sell you anything. What value would any Kennedy coins be to a collector like YOU?

Mainly because some of us are old enough to have lived through the assassination. It was a major event in our lives. Bill and some of the others are a little older than I am and they can remember it well, where they were,what they were doing, what the reactions of others around them were. It made/makes quite an impression on them. Something like what 9/11 did on a later generation.

In my case I do not remember the assassination, but one of my earliest memories was that of his funeral.

I was not born yet. I'm sure my parents remembered it well as my eldest brother was born two days after and being from Texas I'm sure it was quite a shock. My earliest memory of a historic event was my mom sitting us down in front of the TV to watch Neal Armstrong take the first steps on the moon. I'm glad she did that.

I remember it quite well, remember Walter Cronkite crying, trying to tell the public "John F. Kennedy, president of the United States was assassinated today". It made my cry too and shock that something like that could happen in America, especially in my day and time. I have been told by others to cash those coins for face value. I have given a few to the grandkids and nephews. They are only bicentennials and I do have a few silver Kennedys. I am reluctant to part with them but they are always going to be around. Don't you think so? I don't see them in circulation anymore so I guess they are being hoarded and they are never going to increase in value. I have to check for dies and varieties.

What's this about 2M penny? I missed that one

Another round of Kennedy Coins from the Mint.......

I don't think these silver versions will enjoy much fan fair, probably about as much as the 2012 & 2013 special Silver Eagle sets. I was in Rosemont at the WFM show for the Gold coin release and was absolutely taken aback by the alleged demand. What I mean by that is; the dealers were paying big money, but I didn't see any real collectors buying them at these prices to support the market. Everyone was trying to get rich quick and I'd imagine quite a few people lost some serious money. I managed to fund a few classic proof coin purchases thanks to the opportunity though :-) I'll be buying 1 Silver set for myself, but can't see a reason to purchase more than that.