• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photoshop

28 posts in this topic

I found some sites better than Photoshop and its free. They are for windows users http://getpaint.net. MacAfee advisor gives it a green rating meaning it's safe. The other site is http://www.gimp.orgfree. I think this offers a free trial. I didn't check this site with MacAfee. Just passing this along. Now I have to figure out what is what... :wishluck:

Gimp is open source and has always been free to use and I have been using it for many years. It works well in most cases, and on most computers operating systems, but some folks give up on it to quickly and would rather buy Photoshop.

Good info.

GIMP is good stuff, and you can't beat the price. Like Photoshop, however, there's a learning curve to become productive.

This. There are also nice free plugins available for additional features.

I be out for a few days due to password problems. I wanted to know, it seems that when I scan the coins on my printer I can resize the coin. However, when I save it, it is back to the original size. ...I wanted to know if photobucket or those other sites resize the photo of the coin or does it comes directly from you..Please explain and if you don't understand pls respond so I can explain

Save the image from the scanner as a jpeg image.

Upload the image to photobucket.

You can pick the size to upload it as.

Play with it. It's not hard to do.

okay, so I have to upload to photobucket FIRST and then pick the size. My word, I been beating myself up trying to figure out what was wrong...sigh...well I always try before I get on forum. I don't see many ladies on this forum...it's almost impossible. I have read about top female collectors, they should would have a lot to offer female newbies.

Thanks for the info..

There are some women on the various coin forums (This one and others) but not many. For some reason Coin collecting just doesn't seem to interest women that much and probably 10% or fewer collectors are women. On the other hand those women that do collect seem to be very knowledgeable.

I been trying for 2 days to post a photo of a coin that I have. For some reason the photo nor my post came through. It tells that I have posted the total of 1 file. When I checked the post, it said "attachment". I looked below the post and saw a little bitty old something. It hasn't come up on the forum board yet...I know the guys are going to crack up laughing. I followed the instructions someone posted. I used http://getpaint.net. I hope the post comes up so you can look at it. It's titled coin 1974. I been trying for days...I have to get it right.

by the way, how long does it take a post to appear in the forum?

Save from scanner as jpeg

go to photobucket

go to editor

upload pic

crop pic

click on apply

click on save

go to library

mouse over upper right corner of pic choice will show share links

click share links

bottom line is image code

click image code

in your reply on the forum click paste

when you hit post your pic will be there.

Just get IrfanView. It is free and installs on your computer. Will do most everything you want to a photo. Its also very intuitive. No heavy learning curve. Have used it for years and am really happy with it.

I second that.

irfanview

I printed this out. I will try to see if it works. I increase the size after it scans, save it to jpeg. When I opens it, it right back to the original size. I will try this to see if it works. I haven't figured out yet, why I need photoshop and get paint, and the others....I haven't figured that out yet. I get confused

Scan it at a large size, and crop it to get rid of everything but the coin.

Don't try increasing the image size after scanning it. That wont work.

Larry is right. If you are increasing the image size, not only is the coin size is increased, but so is all the blank space around it. All of this needs to be cropped out before being imported into Photobucket.

I just remembered, after being reminded from another of your threads, you have to adjust the selected area in your scanner. Usually as a default your scanner selects a certain size to scan. You will have to make adjustments manually to select the area of the coin only. Usually this will be outlined by crawling ants. You just have to drag that outline as close to the coin as you want.

okay, not going to say what I am thinking I need to do..going to try it to see if it works. I have a preview window before it scans. That is the only option I have before it scans. I have taken courses in computer but, nothing about scanning.

It's possible, probably likely, that a stand alone scanner works different than a scanner that's part of an all in one unit. In the stand alone scanner the preview mode is where the adjustment can be made. Not sure about yours. What brand and model do you have?

That's nice to know...

I think most of people on this forum know what's out there and know that the rarest coins have been accounted for. Probably not much left out there now that is worth anything. I guess that is why they tell me that my coins are only worth face value. Are the dies and varieties worth anything or they just collectibles?

That's nice to know...

I think most of people on this forum know what's out there and know that the rarest coins have been accounted for. Probably not much left out there now that is worth anything. I guess that is why they tell me that my coins are only worth face value. Are the dies and varieties worth anything or they just collectibles?

There are countless coins "out there" worth a sh*t ton. People on this forum tell you your coins are worth face value because they've put in many hours of reading about/examining coins. You should do the same.

On varieties and errors: they can be a lot of fun to look for and collect. They can also be worth decent money depending on what you find. Buy "The Cherry Pickers Guide" to learn to identify popular varieties/errors.