• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy 1977 copper-nickel clad half-dollar

9 posts in this topic

Just checking to see if I am doing a little homework. FV for this circulated coin is $1.00 however, would I need to have this coin graded if I wanted to offer it for sale? Now, I understand if I wanted to start a collection, I would want to complete it by buying other Kennedy's half-dollar. Is that the way it's done?

Thanks

Unless this kennedy would grade at least MS67, it wouldn't be worth getting graded in my opinion. If you're trying to sell it, you would want to get some opinions on a possible grade. Unless you are experienced in grading coins, you could find yourself refunding money left and right trying to sell coins. I have a few kennedys in the years that are just circulated coins. I threw them in my change jar. Not worth messing with.

moneyhoney,

If you wanted to collect Kennedy halves, you would probably first decide whether to collect business strike coins or proof coins or both.

If you wanted to collect business strike coins, you could decide to collect them in circulated grades (from your "pocket change") or uncirculated grades.

If you wanted to collect proof coins, you would probably either buy Proof Sets and then just keep the Kennedy Half or you could buy individual Kennedy Halves.

In either case, you could collect graded ("slabbed") coins or un-graded ("raw") coins.

For example, if you wanted to collect circulated Kennedy halves and put them in an album, you would go to the bank and get Kennedy halves for face value. It would take you some amount of time to accumulate a full set and you might have to buy some coins (from a dealer or eBay, for example). You might very well pay $1 each for the half dollars that you bought (except for some dates, like 1964-1970).

On the other hand, if you wanted to collect uncirculated slabbed Kennedy halves, then you would either buy them already slabbed (for whatever you needed to pay for the grade coin you wanted) or you would buy coins from Mint Sets and submit them to be graded yourself.

So, if you have a lot of Kennedy halves that you got from the bank a long time ago, you probably couldn't sell them to a dealer (because he already has a lot of Kennedy halves that he got from the bank a long time ago).

You might be able to sell them for $1 each on eBay, but considering the fees that eBay charges and your time and cost to pack and ship the coin to a buyer, you might very well end up with face value or less for the coins.

If, on the other hand, the coins you have are in very nice uncirculated condition (say, MS-66 or higher), then you would get them graded and then you might be able to sell them for more than the cost of grading. Unfortunately, you might not be able to sell them for more than the cost of grading and you would end up losing money.

edited to add: If you have a lot of non-silver Kennedy halves, your choice is between spending them (or depositing them in the bank) now for face value or spending time and money in the hope of getting more than face value for them. Depending on how skilled you are at coin grading and selling, you might end up getting less than face value for the coins, after all your costs are considered.

Just checking to see if I am doing a little homework. FV for this circulated coin is $1.00 however, would I need to have this coin graded if I wanted to offer it for sale? Now, I understand if I wanted to start a collection, I would want to complete it by buying other Kennedy's half-dollar. Is that the way it's done?

Thanks

FV is NOT $1.00 since anybody can obtain a circulated version for .50 cents at the bank.

These can also be ordered by $500 boxes which will have "plenty" of 1977 P & D Kennedy Halves at 50 cents each along with a veritable butt load of other dates.

The ONLY time a coin is worth having graded is IF it is of a high enough grade or of a particular variety to demand a premium over and above the costs associated with having a coin graded. These costs not only include the cost of the coin and the grading but also include shipping/packaging/insurance costs to send the coin and TPG Shipping Charges to return the coin to you.

Here's my 1977-D

Kennedy1977-DDDOFS-1013188829008NGCMS63CoinwithMottoD.jpg

Kennedy1977-DDDOFS-1013188829008NGCMS63MottoRightD.jpg

NGC MS63 Crossover to a PCGS MS63.

I have that except it isn't mint state. I use magnification strength 10X. Following the grade criteria I gave it "about uncirculated". Any suggestions?

I understand fv to mean face value...one half dollar fv is fifty cents. If the face value was one dollar it would be one dollar, that is my understanding at this point.

I didn't intend to use fv as $1.00. I think I saw on a chart that the coin was worth that much. I think that is one of my problem in reading these charts. I see the year and mm of a coin and I follow the info across, I don't understand what the dollar amount mean. I will have to learn how to read them.

Thank you

moneyhoney how about you not grade it and pass it along as pocket change. You will fall in a hole pretty much if u even think of grading a clad junk dollar.

What did you do with the MS '77 you posted? My coin is about uncirculated...what do you do with the coin that you have? Did you add it to your collection? When I received the Kennedy's coin, I had a total of 229 Kennedy half dollars. 195 of them including silver, were given to grandkids. So I had quite a hoard.

What did you do with the MS '77 you posted? My coin is about uncirculated...what do you do with the coin that you have? Did you add it to your collection? When I received the Kennedy's coin, I had a total of 229 Kennedy half dollars. 195 of them including silver, were given to grandkids. So I had quite a hoard.
I bought that coin in NGC Plastic for $150 off eBay.

It is in my PCGS Kennedy Half Dollar Variety set.

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=48189

And I seriously doubt that the coin you have is the same as mine. Certainly its possible but highly unlikely.

Unless this kennedy would grade at least MS67, it wouldn't be worth getting graded in my opinion. If you're trying to sell it, you would want to get some opinions on a possible grade. Unless you are experienced in grading coins, you could find yourself refunding money left and right trying to sell coins. I have a few kennedys in the years that are just circulated coins. I threw them in my change jar. Not worth messing with.

This.