• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To be Textile or Not to Be Textile ??? That is the question...

Textile Toning...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Textile Toning...

32 posts in this topic

Bad photos from the EBay seller. I only care if its textile. I dont care if its colorful or attractive or AU or MS. I paid melt for it.

I see dots but it could be my aging eyes or the blurry photos.

image.jpg

Why don't you just let people know after you have the coin in hand?

What led you to think I wouldnt update the thread when I do receive the coin ?

If it were a textile pattern, I don't think you would see the similar effect above and around the last two digits in the date.

Why would you say that ?

If it were a textile pattern, I don't think you would see the similar effect above and around the last two digits in the date.

Why would you say that ?

I can't speak for Mark - but the textile pattern comes when the coin is in close contact with the cloth. Because of the high relief at the base of the bust, and the protected nature of the fields around the digits (due to the rim), it is hard to envisage the cloth being pressed against the coin in that way.

What led you to think I wouldnt update the thread when I do receive the coin ?

Nothing led me to think that. My point was, rather than unnecessarily seeking opinions and speculation based on bad images, why not wait until you can provide good ones.

Why would you say that ?

I can't speak for Mark - but the textile pattern comes when the coin is in close contact with the cloth. Because of the high relief at the base of the bust, and the protected nature of the fields around the digits (due to the rim), it is hard to envisage the cloth being pressed against the coin in that way.

You spoke quite well for me. (thumbs u

I thought the same but Ive seen textile toned Morgans graded by PCGS and NGC that had dimpling on the higher relief areas and the fields.

KGr_Hq_RHJEIE88cr4_FWi_BPRhr_U7_Ng_60_57.jpg

Well not that my photos are that much better....

But with the coin in hand I can definitely say its textile. Its faint but its textile. The toning overall is very light so the dots are not pronounced but they are there...

Photo #1 with the saturation turned up...

22_Textile.jpg

Photo #2 - the angle shows it better - faint dots across most of the obverse - but still its best when you rotate the coin in hand to see the luster and the toning that really makes the dots pops out...

22_TT.jpg

Thanks for playing along !!!

I am not seeing it and while I don't have the coin in hand I am going to state in my opinion your not seeing textile dots...your seeing untoned dots which is actually the opposite of what you should see.

Its really hard to see from the photos. I cant do video though. It requires turning the coin in the light for them to pop out.

Sorry guys. But here's one that easier to see for your viewing pleasure...

2a_22_Peace_NGCMS64.jpg

That's real textile on he second coin... first oin the pattern is backwards

Actually its the same.... even the colors are the same....untoned dots where the canvas weave of the bag made contact with the face of the coin and toning around those dots.

I agree that the pattern, especially in the recessed areas, makes me lean towards it not being a textile toner given the large difference in relief.

Some posters seem to enjoy melodrama and hyperbole (other threads) more than others.

Some posters seem to enjoy melodrama and hyperbole (other threads) more than others.

And some posters have more money then good sense.

It's nice to see you admit that. When myself and others have opined that a pricing evaluation on certain toners is high (e.g. minor peripheral album toning Ikes and Kennedys) you seem to equate it with a criticism of entire classes of toners (all moderns) and post coins that are neon and substantially toned that have no resemblance to the coins discussed in other threads. Maybe you are beginning to see the distinction after all... or one can hope.

Any way, I'm done with my tangent.

And some posters have more money then good sense.

It's nice to see you admit that. When myself and others have opined that a pricing evaluation on certain toners is high (e.g. minor peripheral album toning Ikes and Kennedys) you seem to equate it with a criticism of entire classes of toners (all moderns) and post coins that are neon and substantially toned that have no resemblance to the coins discussed in other threads. Maybe you are beginning to see the distinction after all... or one can hope.

Any way, I'm done with my tangent.

You've been here for 4 years. Ive been here for 12. Keep thinking you are superior someday it might come true for you.

Hows the sale of your BIN toned Peace $ coming along ? Sell any of them yet ?

No ? I didnt think so...

You've been here for 4 years. Ive been here for 12. Keep thinking you are superior someday it might come true for you.

I have never claimed to be superior to anyone nor do I think I am superior to others. I'm here to share observations and experiences and to learn from the observations and experiences of others. You are the one who seems to think he is an expert and cannot seem to grasp legitimate dissent or the thought that others might reasonably disagree with you. And there clearly is a much larger context than is portrayed in this thread that has warranted my snarky remarks. And you are not the expert you seem to think that you are.

For supposedly being an expert you certainly make some pretty grandiose/sketchy claims on this forum. If you were the Peace Dollar expert that you think you are, then you could answer your own question in this thread and wouldn't have needed to solicit clarification from Mark in his comments - the basis of which one would think would be rather obvious. Similarly, I question your advice to posters in the past to resubmit coins several times with questionable toning that were already bagged by grading service and truly undisputed experts - say former top TPG graders and/or cameo CAC grader(s) - similarly opined had small chances of making of ever making it into problem free plastic. And then there was the thread where you attacked me for posting that certain minor peripheral album coins were not comparable to brightly colored coins with substantial toning that many would consider attractive. (Which I let go only because a good amount of time elapsed before I read your hyperbolic and misguided posts). Somehow the distinction was lost on you. True experts don't need to brag about putative "qualifications" - they are recognized for their insightful posts. I think forum members see you for what you are (in my opinion).

For too long, I have keep quiet about your grandiose and exaggerated (in my opinion) claims and comments and I have sat at the side lines and said nothing. Since you want to have a discussion about expertise (in other threads), I think it is quite appropriate that we discuss your expertise. Maybe it is my life experience or business dealings, but I have a sensitive internal compass for BS. In my opinion, you are full if it as you are yourself.

Now that I have said what I felt needed to be said, I'm done with you, this thread, and your hyperbolic/melodramatic BS.