• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COINTRACKER

16 posts in this topic

/this is very confusing to me to what is found on NGC where info for all coins are MS and PR. Cointracker states the value of the same coin but they are not MS or PR. For example: Kennedy 1976 half dollar in poor condition is valued at $2.00 or more one in perfect condition $2.50 or more. 1973 Kennedy minimum of $2.50 in perfect condition $2.75 or more. I had my coins all rolled up to deposit in the bank. Now I have to take a second look. Will someone pleeze explain?

What you are seeing for the prices of the circulated common coins are retail prices. What you might have to pay a dealer for the coin. And in most cases those prices are what I call "dealer nuisance fee " meaning the coin isn't really worth this much but the dealer has to charge it just to cover his time and expenses for holdering, cataloging and paperwork to track the sale. Plus a little for profit to justify the effort

The prices shown in the Redbook for a lot of common coins is also just the "Dealer Nuisance Fee"..

have in front of me "A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS" 66th edition 2013. In Kennedy half dollars section, bicentennial MS-63 is worth $2 1976D $2, 1975S PF-65 $5. I don't have MS nor PF so perhaps there are some numismatic value that I can find. Otherwise it's just worth fv

From looking at the Numismedia site I'd say everything up to MS-65 is Dealer Nuisance Fee. And even MS-65 and up are probably retail, not what a dealer would pay for them.

When the opportunity arises, take your Kennedy halves and Ike dollars to a larger coin show. Offer them for sale to several dealers selected at random. That will help you understand their "worth" versus a retail catalog listing.

PS: I realize you live in a small town and there might be few coin shows within convenient driving distance. Nearly every week, a member posts a list of small and large coin shows. Check that for one that is closest to you.

So, I am not a dealer in that respect. However, if I was selling the coins do you think anybody would pay me $2.00 or $2.50? I was thinking that amount on cointracker was the actual "worth" of the coin and I could get that much for them if I decided to sell them. I don't think a dealer would pay me that much but a dealer would charge "me" that much. There should be classes in collecting and selling coins explaining the pros and cons of collecting. When we say "1976" Kennedy's half dollars are we referring to the bicentennial half-dollar?

This really is a good site for newbies especially dummies like me. I am learning but being cautious. Thanks for replying to my posts. :)

Well, not much different from the others. Coins have to be graded before I can decide what I have. I am not ready to think that I can actually grade a coin. However, thanks for the heads-up. I will make a note of this website. Really have to know about coins to be a good coin collector, so many things to be watchful for.

With a little practice and one of the guides to grading coins, you can quickly learn to differentiate the various circulated coin grades, and understand the differences between uncirculated and about uncirculated.

Once you get into the MS-60 through MS70 silliness, it all gets confused. Until you have become familiar with the basics of coin grades, DO NOT waste money on paying any company to "grade" your coins. (Many feel a coin has to be worth $200+ to justify the expense of "grading.')

You have a very good point. I was asking that question. I have looking at grading criteria online and comparing what I have. I do have a 1881 Morgan Dollar that black toned and silver. I thought about having that graded but got confused with MS and PF but I understand that a little better now. I am still confuse looking at the prices I see with coins. Is it what I should get if I was to sell it? MM is "S" some wear on the Eagles' breast and the hairline above the ear shows some wear on the front (obverse, I think) It might be "fine" I have to check again.

Thank you for responding

edit info: if you feel the coin is not worth at least $200 dollars, what do you do with it? I suppose if it's silver you would sell it to a dealer?

MH, you are missing the point on collecting entirely, not everybody collects slabbed coins, some here will actually buy a slabbed coin and (GASP!!!) take it out of the slab and put it in an album........oh the humanity. They collect for the pleasure, not necessarily for profit.

So, I am not a dealer in that respect. However, if I was selling the coins do you think anybody would pay me $2.00 or $2.50? I was thinking that amount on cointracker was the actual "worth" of the coin and I could get that much for them if I decided to sell them. I don't think a dealer would pay me that much but a dealer would charge "me" that much. There should be classes in collecting and selling coins explaining the pros and cons of collecting. When we say "1976" Kennedy's half dollars are we referring to the bicentennial half-dollar?

This really is a good site for newbies especially dummies like me. I am learning but being cautious. Thanks for replying to my posts. :)

maybe you could find someone to pay you 3-5 times the value (occurs with many things).

I suggest you find contact info for your 'cointracker' and say you like their buy prices and want info for sending them some of your items

interesting thread on another message board

one reply mentioned in that thread was "to get a membership in the grey sheet, and that prices were updated regular and reflect what a person can expect to get for a coin and what a person may have to pay for a coin". However, I realize that varieties and dies have to be considered.

Interesting thread, thanks a zillions (worship)

From looking at the Numismedia site I'd say everything up to MS-65 is Dealer Nuisance Fee. And even MS-65 and up are probably retail, not what a dealer would pay for them.

In many cases, I would argue that the prices are higher than retail especially on post 1950 coinage and on classic generics (based on actual auction records).