• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most fun set you've put together?

42 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am currently putting together a date set of Capped Bust halves and having a ton of fun doing so. I am buying strictly raw coins or coins in "less-than-desirable" holders. While putting together this set, I'm learning to grade CBHs and recognize problem coins. It's a challenge to find original, toned coins that are not already in an NGC or PCGS holder.

So, I ask you, what has been the set you have most enjoyed putting together? It doesn't have to be a date/MM set or another common set. It can be a grading set or a custom set of your choice. It can be a work in progress or complete.

I am interested to read your responses!

Tyler

I had a lot of fun putting together my PCGS Everyman set of Indian Quarter Eagles 1908-1929. There are only fifteen coins in the set, and only the 1911-D is pricey.

I have been having a really good time just collecting medals that I like and have some history behind them. I guess you could say that they are a set of subsets. Medals such as the examples below often come in numerous metal types and each type usually has a different mintage.

I can't get all flavors of some. An example; the last medal pictured. Although it is also a 1876 Centennial Medal authorized by Congress, they made it in white metal as well. However with only three examples in white metal known, I will have to pass on that one. So I have the bronze and I picked up the Silver today.

Still collecting some coins but I am nowhere near attached to them as I have been these medals. Lot of fun!

Bronze

image0003.jpg

White Metal

image0002.jpg

Copper

image0005.jpg

Gilted

image0004.jpg

And then the other type in bronze

image0001.jpg

Silver is on it's way. ;)

Sorry if I went overboard. :whee:

MOST fun? I don't know about MOST fun, but I'm currently having a LOT of fun putting together raw Dansco albums of toner Franklins and 1940 - 1964 Washingtons.

bc1941S_rWAo5th_zpsaa369d52.jpgbc1941S_rWAr3_zps0d37b33b.jpg

bc1954_rFRo2T_zps2ba26614.jpgbc1954_rFRr1T_zps8e91ae6e.jpg

I'm currently collecting the P mintmarked 5 oz America The Beautiful coins. I have a subscription since I have a complete set and don't want to miss the next issue and with a subscription the mint gives you a discount over their list price. These are the heaviest and largest coins ever issued by the U.S. Mint. These coins have a different design on each issue unlike most series where every coin has the same design which I find to be extremely boring. The subject lends itself to some very artistic and interesting subjects and you get 5 ozs of pure silver with every coin.

People call it a "beginner" series all the time, but I have a lot of fun collecting Roosevelt dimes. Since they're so affordable and available, I get to own and examine a lot of coins. And there are an incredible amount of die varieties within the silver series. The last I counted, CONECA had over 150 different varieties for the 1946 year (P, D, & S) alone.

People call it a "beginner" series all the time, but I have a lot of fun collecting Roosevelt dimes. Since they're so affordable and available, I get to own and examine a lot of coins. And there are an incredible amount of die varieties within the silver series. The last I counted, CONECA had over 150 different varieties for the 1946 year (P, D, & S) alone.

I like the roosevelt since anyone can achieve a finished set. But for me i want to be able to rank in the top 5.

Tough question by the OP for me. I think I'm going to have the most fun with my U.S. coin Type set. I've already concluded that I won't ever finish a Morgan set, nor do I have a desire to. I just like adding them when they catch my eye.

In conjunction with the Type set, I'm going to complete a Peace dollar set.

In general, I'm just having fun learning about coins, the history of them and adding coins with artistry to my collection.

I would LOVE to find one of those multiple medal Centennial sets in the original box, but they also never come to market. Many pieces that have been slabbed have been separated from their original boxes. I have a silver piece that is certified with the original box, but I paid too much for it. I also have a raw gold plated example that only cost me $50 or $60, which I viewed as a bargain.

1876OffSilverCenMedalO.jpg1876OffSilverCenMedalR.jpg

CentennialMedalBoxinside.jpg

As for the most fun I have putting together a set., I'd say that would be my complete gold type set, which runs from 1795 to 1933. There are a lot of expensive coins in that set, and paying for them is not fun, but the results were "priceless."

You can click on my footer to see my registry set.

For me it was the set of NGC $2.50 quarter eagle Indians.

Back in the 1980s I put this raw set together. It was a lot of fun. My goal was to average $200 a coin excluding the 1911-D, which was quite a bit more.

Indian250O.jpg

I guess I wouldn't put a set together if I didn't think it was fun. Adding neat VAMs to my collection has been fun, adding commems to my set has been fun, figuring out what to put in my prime number set has been fun. Once I put a Hawaiian in my commem set, then I'll have to see what new kinds of fun I can have with it.

I also have a raw gold plated example that only cost me $50 or $60, which I viewed as a bargain.

I assume that is the HK-22 (Gilt) version you are speaking about. If so, that is next on my hit list. I am not concerned with the original packaging, but I do consider it an added bonus if I can get one with it. Nice HK-20 you have there and the OGP looks like it is in incredibly good shape. (thumbs u

I had a lot of fun building copper sets. I went overboard on early RD Lincolns and would do it differently today. I'm happy with a Dansco of Redbook large cents.

But I think I had the most fun putting together a RD/RB set of IHC's. Less pressure and expense. More opportunity for colorful, attractive small cents. Here's a look at the modest set.

Lance.

1859-1865_zps63b9cf7d.jpg1866-1875_zps5f56449c.jpg

1876-1885_zps73d1cbdf.jpg1886-1894_zps19ff67cf.jpg

1895-1904_zps70f1cd0f.jpg1905-1909-s_zps55af96b3.jpg

I've put together Modern sets, Morgan date sets, Walker sets and CBH's (Love the CBH's). But I just started putting together a Dansco 7070 type set. It has been a real kick buying slabbed coins and liberating them from their plastic tombs. Yep, everything I buy for the 7070 is going into the Dansco Album raw.

I've had the most fun looking through the history of each type coin, searching for nice coins to buy and being able to hold in my hand each of my purchases. It's wonderful to be able to slide back the plastic cover and pick up a coin I bought and hold the history of the mintage of the coin in my hand.

Carl

No question for me, my horses set. I can do it my way, however I want. And, I learn a ton about essentially everything from US coins, World coins, civil war tokens, and most any form of exonumia you can imagine.

Here's a smattering...

1690HB_BrunswickCalHann_2-3Thaler_PCGS_AU55_composite_zpsbd02bde1.jpg

1740_S2D_Klippe_NGC_MS62_composite_diameter_zps959441bd.jpg

1792_Godiva_Warwick231_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zps88d1c1d4.jpg

1857_UpperCanada_HalfPenny_NGC_MS65BN_Courteau186_composite_zpsb3659bab.jpg

1963_HeraldicArt_Occasional_JFKDeath_NGC_MS67_composite_zpsf8f78ecb.jpg

My award-losing matched set of "7-11 Parking Lot Cents" was the most fun to assemble. Also, you often meet a better class of person than some of the coin show circuit dealers.....at least the mustard and pickle stains match the shoes.