• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book Review: Numismatic Forgery

6 posts in this topic

Just got back from a business trip to Upstate New York, and so I brought "Numismatic Forgery" by Charles Larson for a little light reading on the plane. I really enjoyed the book: it was incredibly informative, and horrifying at the same time. Larson interviewed Mark Hoffman, the famous forger, for some of the information in the book - and then reproduced many of the effects in his own metal-shop.

Throughout the book, Larson gives detailed descriptions of a large number of techniques used to forge coins. He goes through a step-by-step process for duplicating coins, and shows exactly what forgers do. There are some points for what to look for when analyzing forgeries, but the focus of the book is on how its done. There are sections on making dies, striking techniques, making planchets, and even a chapter on simulating wear and patina.

I would like to see an updated version with more information on identifying fakes (although, there are other books with this information). The book was published before the rise of the Chinese fakes, so I would also like to see more about that subject.

Knowing the techniques used can help a collector identify forgeries. Many fakes are incredibly good, and this is something we must be aware of. I highly recommend this very interesting and well written book.

It might be "light reading" for you, because of your educational background and scientific interests, but since I have the mechanical abilities that are equal to those of a Chesapeake retriever, I found the book to be a tough slog. Still it is well worth the effort to study it. Knowing how the copies are made makes it easier to spot some of them.

I enjoyed reading this book as well. It was one of the first books I purchased when I became serious in collecting and found the information quite useful. Having a good understanding of metal work and machining techniques helped me to better understand some of the processes that were described in how the forgeries were made. It was a good read!

after reading it, I wonder how much is fiction

I read A Gathering of Saints: A True Story of Money, Murder and Deceit - about Mark Hoffman, and it is rather interesting with the Mormon artifact counterfeiting and sale.