• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What causes toning like this?

54 posts in this topic

Many things could have caused it. No one true answer! Most likely reason you dont see it often is because ASE's are .999 silver and tone different and faster than most .900 silver.

Im going to guess velvet box. I dont know ASEs that well but I have seen that type of toning on coins that were place reverse side down in a velvet box.

Here is what I think the coin you posted might have ended up looking like if had been give more time to tone...

HSZBi.jpg

Looks like album toning. Not sure what kind of album or what environment they have been stored in. I have had my silver eagles in an album for more than 10 years and they are pure white. Of course I keep them climate controlled as well.

That type of toning is common for ASEs. Kryptonite and Dimefreak are correct----it is b/c of the cardboard holder and the high silver content. This coin was likely stored in a more humid environment, as well. :thumbsup:

What causes toning like that? A doctor and a frying pan is what it looks like to me.

As much as I think the discussion of how a coin "received" its toning (the AT/NT debate) is way over blown I have a tendency to agree with the above statement.

jom

Geee...not to my taste in coins at all! Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some plastic diffraction grating and cut it into circles? Then you'd have "pretty colors" without the blowtorch or Easy-Bake Oven.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some plastic diffraction grating and cut it into circles? Then you'd have "pretty colors" without the blowtorch or Easy-Bake Oven.

No, because it's likely that there was no blow torch or easy bake oven used.

What causes toning like that? A doctor and a frying pan is what it looks like to me.

As much as I think the discussion of how a coin "received" its toning (the AT/NT debate) is way over blown I have a tendency to agree with the above statement.

jom

Why?

jom

Why?
With a name like that you should be offering answers not asking questions! lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am impressed you can conclude this with such finality.

I don't see "is what it looks like to me" as equating with your "conclude this with such finality".

I don't see "is what it looks like to me" as equating with your "conclude this with such finality".

Mark has trained me to never make absolute statements.

Apparently not, or you wouldn't have used the word "never". :devil:

I'm starting to miss my beautiful set even more now!!

Please dont say you sold that set...

:o I truly hope not!

Sorry guys......sold it for another investment. The entire set went to one collector.

Hopefully he will not part it out :)

I haven't seen any of them come up for auction so I think its in tact.

It was one fantastic set too......Doubtful to see another any time soon.

Sorry guys......sold it for another investment. The entire set went to one collector.

Hopefully he will not part it out :)

I haven't seen any of them come up for auction so I think its in tact.

It was one fantastic set too......Doubtful to see another any time soon.

Its actually nice to know it went to a collector that will hopefully finish the set.

That's the joke here ;)

That's the joke here ;)

Well done! (thumbs u

jom

Why?
With a name like that you should be offering answers not asking questions! lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well done.

Because that was well done, an explanation is due.

Another Board member, in an attempt to belittle, birthed the name in my honor and blessed me with it. I could think of no other method to acknowledge and respond to the belittlement, and use courteous language in a reply. I decided to honor the belittlement, by using the name bestowed upon me, as a constant reminder to the individual of my appreciation for the recognition.

Good Morning Mr. Feld.

Fair enough. We differ in interpretation, and I have a responsibility to explain my remarks.

In the interest of furthering communication, which is always helpful, I will explain my somewhat sarcastic Post.

When a person uses the phrase "to me", it is a statement of individual conclusion; it is finite.

In the Post that we differ in interpretation about, the conclusion of the individual follows a restatement of the question that is being addressed by the individual. It is a finite answer.

By including the words "A Doctor and a frying pan", it is a statement of "reasoned" conclusion by the individual. It was probably intended to be a humorous statement, and if so, that could have been clarified by the use of one of those little yellow thingys.

It is also subject to interpretation as disparaging the coin of another person in a haughty manner. I would think it is obvious that there is no proof that the coin was the result of being placed in a frying pan. It is a picture....as clarified by "what it looks like to me".

I concluded disparagement was the intent. I did so based on many previous Posts by the individual.

As I recall, I have responded to such replies by the individual many times in the past. I have reminded him that as a member of the Board that is respected and is proficient in a number of areas, that such statements should not be made by him, because many would interpret the statement as being finite truth. This is especially a concern because any new member, that is not as "seasoned", may believe such a statement. In other words, he has a responsibility to clarify and explain.

I do not appreciate any person disparaging another person's coin, in a dismissive manner, without clear explanation, and using words and phrases that are not subject to an interpretation of belittlement. It is a higher duty of responsibility when the person is a respected individual.

I know...long winded, and without a doubt, not very important. However, since we can not see each other on a chat board, and can not interpret the nuances of a reply, via facial expressions or body movements or tonal inflections, we all should be a little more aware. Me included, much more so than others, since I am not known and not seasoned and am still somewhat of a newbie (is that the correct word?).

Thank you for the opportunity to explain my Post.

Good Morning Mr. Feld.

Fair enough. We differ in interpretation, and I have a responsibility to explain my remarks.

In the interest of furthering communication, which is always helpful, I will explain my somewhat sarcastic Post.

When a person uses the phrase "to me", it is a statement of individual conclusion; it is finite.

In the Post that we differ in interpretation about, the conclusion of the individual follows a restatement of the question that is being addressed by the individual. It is a finite answer.

By including the words "A Doctor and a frying pan", it is a statement of "reasoned" conclusion by the individual. It was probably intended to be a humorous statement, and if so, that could have been clarified by the use of one of those little yellow thingys.

It is also subject to interpretation as disparaging the coin of another person in a haughty manner. I would think it is obvious that there is no proof that the coin was the result of being placed in a frying pan. It is a picture....as clarified by "what it looks like to me".

I concluded disparagement was the intent. I did so based on many previous Posts by the individual.

As I recall, I have responded to such replies by the individual many times in the past. I have reminded him that as a member of the Board that is respected and is proficient in a number of areas, that such statements should not be made by him, because many would interpret the statement as being finite truth. This is especially a concern because any new member, that is not as "seasoned", may believe such a statement. In other words, he has a responsibility to clarify and explain.

I do not appreciate any person disparaging another person's coin, in a dismissive manner, without clear explanation, and using words and phrases that are not subject to an interpretation of belittlement. It is a higher duty of responsibility when the person is a respected individual.

I know...long winded, and without a doubt, not very important. However, since we can not see each other on a chat board, and can not interpret the nuances of a reply, via facial expressions or body movements or tonal inflections, we all should be a little more aware. Me included, much more so than others, since I am not known and not seasoned and am still somewhat of a newbie (is that the correct word?).

Thank you for the opportunity to explain my Post.

Thank you for your explanation.

I interpreted that post as indicating that the poster thought the coin was AT. He didn't say "The coin was AT'd in a frying pan by a coin doctor". I believe that he included "looks like" and "to me" to indicate an opinion, as opposed to a factual statement. I am not being facetious here - what would you prefer he write to make it clearer that he was expressing an opinion?

I understrand that you thought the poster was disparaging the coin, but I think that's a seperate issue from expressing an opinion vs. stating something as a fact.