• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1922-D Peace $ Crescent (Bag) Toner....

26 posts in this topic

Whats the grade ? Is it slabbed ? If so, is it details graded (AT) or did it grade (NT/MA) Which grading company graded it ?

And please feel free to post your opinion of it.

First one to get it right gets 5 bright and shiny Ike Dollars.... no cheating... :banana:

22_DO.jpg

22_DR.jpg

• Whats the grade ? MS63
  • Is it slabbed ? Yes
  • If so, is it details graded (AT) or did it grade (NT/MA) Graded NT/MA
  • Which grading company graded it ? Why NGC of-course

NGC Graded (old holder)

MS 62

Naturally Toned

The obverse looks like it's been through the war in a bag. The reverse shows luster and colorful toning. It's common but color certainly isn't.

NGC Graded (old holder)

MS 62

Naturally Toned

The obverse looks like it's been through the war in a bag. The reverse shows luster and colorful toning. It's common but color certainly isn't.

You're being too harsh on the coin. We're looking at giant images and most MS62 Peace Dollars look far worse than what is portrayed in the images here.

NGC Graded (old holder)

MS 62

Naturally Toned

You're being too harsh on the coin. We're looking at giant images and most MS62 Peace Dollars look far worse than what is portrayed in the images here.

He's not being harsh. There are coins we see sometimes are sometimes overgraded or undergraded. He might be looking at the cheek since those marks are pretty darn noticeable. But its a photo so you cant be guaranteed on your answer.

I'll go with PCGS MS64.

Photo is probably a scan. Hair and feather detail looks pretty strong. Ticks and small disturbances are seen on large coins with even higher grades.

NGC Graded (old holder)

MS 62

Naturally Toned

He's not being harsh. There are coins we see sometimes are sometimes overgraded or undergraded. He might be looking at the cheek since those marks are pretty darn noticeable. But its a photo so you cant be guaranteed on your answer.

I presume he is looking at the cheek and the neck.

I understand it's a photo, but that is all we have to go on. Based on that photo and considering that the marks/flaws are largely magnified, I believe that 62 is too harsh. I would say the same, even if it turns out that the coin graded lower than 62.

Banged and scraped Unc - 62. Not an attractive coin.
I considered bagged because what might be a scrape on the reverse but decided to go with my grade. I think all guesses so far are viable.

Coindude wins…

image.jpg

Its a little baggy for my taste but true crescent bag toned Peace $ dont come around that often... actually they are almost never available so just for that reason I bought it. Its only 6th coin Ive bought, sold, and even seen in 15 yrs that has true bag toning. I like unique coins as much as pretty coins.

Would rather it be textile though. Textile is rare on Morgans - it is exceedingly rare on Peace $. Ive only seen two real textile examples. Ive seen a couple of other coins with a small grouping of textile dots but only 2 with the dots covering the entire obverse or reverse.

Actually I love the black toning on it. Im still searching for a one-sided bag toned black beauty Peace $. Im thinking this black area might have some color hidden underneath.

The EBay seller - ugh - Great Southern Coin listed the coin with the obverse photos. It sold for relatively no premium for the toning.

Coindude - PM me your addy and I will send out the Ikes.

Thanks for the comments and playing along. I am actually surprised no one said AT all the way...

Hey Tonerguy, how about a "crescent (bag) toned" 1964 Kennedy half dollar!!! every seen one of those? I hadn't until a few weeks ago, it is currently at the graders, no word on grade, or if it even does grade as of yet.... I thought it was a little amazing, mostly just because it is a bag toned Kennedy....

I can live with that being an MS 63. I was also taking into account the black mark on the back. I didn't know if that was toning or something else that wasn't ungradable.

I'm starting to think I'm being a bit too conservative across the board in my grading but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Hey Tonerguy, how about a "crescent (bag) toned" 1964 Kennedy half dollar!!! every seen one of those? I hadn't until a few weeks ago, it is currently at the graders, no word on grade, or if it even does grade as of yet.... I thought it was a little amazing, mostly just because it is a bag toned Kennedy....

Yep... Its more purplish than black and there's a little rainbow on the reverse and next to the 9...

I like unique coins that you just dont see that often... one of my favs is a textile toned Ike $. I guess its why I like toned Peace $ and clad toners.... they arent always mind blowing rainbow Monsters but you cant find 100 of them in a dealer's case at a show either.

Good luck on your submission ! May it be a 67 !

o3_64_DJFKNGCMS66.jpg