• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Says Modern Toners Arent Worth Anything !

61 posts in this topic

This must be a record for a 1983 Proof Set...

I am sure some of the other members here were tracking these auction and some may have even won some of these coins (not my coins). Congrats to you and a huge congrats to the consignor! And congrats to Shane !

$1361.50 total for a toned 1983 proof set graded by PCGS - all coins sold separately.

Lincoln - $322.99

Link...

Jefferson - $205.50

Link...

Roosie - $245.50

Link...

Washington - $237.51

Link...

JFK - $350.00

Link...

I personally added that up over and over again last night..... everytime I got the total, I shook it off as me not adding correctly.... took a while just to wrap my mind around it... all the same buyer too..... they look awesome, Ive seen very few modern clad toners like that, and the cent looked like stuff dreams are made of....

Whoever bought the set sure did bring it....

Kudos to whoever found that set and certified it....

That was the prettiest Lincoln I had seen... I couldn't bring myself to bid past $255. I was winning and purposley walked away until auction ended! The Kennedy didn't surprise me because Shane has somebody that bids them to the high heavens! I was the benefactor a while back of some fierce bidding on a Kennedy in his auctions.

all the same buyer too.....

Ahhh. I didnt even check that. I knew they were going high and I wasnt even going to try and bid. Who knows if the bidder is buried in those coins. I suspect hes not but either way he definitely has the prettiest matched toned set of 1983 proof coins I have ever seen.

I doubt we will see those coins up for auction anytime soon.

I was tracking one coin out of this set as well..

Very nice coins!

Did anyone else notice how awful the truviews of these coins were??

There weren't truview..secure plus photos. Quick scan is what u get when you secure plus your coins.I'm surprised they didn't let Phil play with these coins. Maybe he was busy or absent.

Very nice coins!

There weren't truview..secure plus photos. Quick scan is what u get when you secure plus your coins.I'm surprised they didn't let Phil play with these coins. Maybe he was busy or absent.

Ah.. Thanks.. That must be it! Wow it looked like someone took pics with a calculator.. Gee with this low quality, what's the point of having a pic on file with pcgs..?

Very nice coins!

Ah.. Thanks.. That must be it! Wow it looked like someone took pics with a calculator.. Gee with this low quality, what's the point of having a pic on file with pcgs..?

Agree

"- all coins sold separately." Your prices may vary. Do not insert into ear. Keep away from open flame. Not for use by persons under age 12. Do not use on cribs or infant beds.

I guess I will be the lone dissenter, I like the Roosie but I don't care for much of the rest of them. Maybe in hand I would think something different. To each his own.

"- all coins sold separately." Your prices may vary. Do not insert into ear. Keep away from open flame. Not for use by persons under age 12. Do not use on cribs or infant beds.

May contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Breathing causes cancer in California.

I think the roosie is my favorite, but that Kennedy is nice!

Breathing causes cancer in California.

I think the roosie is my favorite, but that Kennedy is nice!

Now wait a minute. We don't all have cancer, although I'm still not done breathing.

I'm a Lincoln guy and the Lincoln was the one coin I didn't like. I think the quarter was a close second. I did like the roosie and Kennedy.

I think some people just went nuts and wanted the entire set.

Winna winna chicken dinna !

I think thats what it was. The power of one motivated buyer can do wonders for the hammer price. lol

I think he could get $1500 for that set though. Not from me but from another motivated buyer.

Actually out of all of them the one I like the most is not shown in the OP. It was a 73-D clad MS65. I'm not a big fan of proof coins so....

jom

Actually out of all of them the one I like the most is not shown in the OP. It was a 73-D clad MS65. I'm not a big fan of proof coins so....

jom

You mean the one with the Dansco toning ? The $10 coin with the $40 toning ?

Link...

or the $20 coin with the $90 toning... I actually preferred this one...

Link...

But every time I say modern toners are worth money every tells me how they arent worth $5....

jom

You mean the one with the Dansco toning ? The $10 coin with the $40 toning ?

Link...

or the $20 coin with the $90 toning... I actually preferred this one...

Link...

But every time I say modern toners are worth money every tells me how they arent worth $5....

Yep...I liked the 73-D better though.

jom

Isolated sales aren't necessarily representative of the larger market and bidding wars can create pricing records that are not reproducible. In any event the particular pieces discussed in this thread have an unusual amount of toning that some might consider them to be "monsters," making them qualitatively in a class of their own. The coins you posted where a disagreement arose with regards to pricing (to the best of my recollection) were much more subtle and displayed more common album toning that was no where close to the degree of the coins that just sold.

Isolated sales aren't necessarily representative of the larger market and bidding wars can create pricing records that are not reproducible. In any event the particular pieces discussed in this thread have an unusual amount of toning that some might consider them to be "monsters," making them qualitatively in a class of their own. The coins you posted where a disagreement arose with regards to pricing (to the best of my recollection) were much more subtle and displayed more common album toning that was no where close to the degree of the coins that just sold.

lol... why bother to even justify your comments ? :roflmao:

The coins I posted were by far more colorful than the 73-D that just sold for $40. I like the 73-D but I wouldnt have paid $40 for it.

If modern toners arent your area of specialty why comment on them ?

I dont collect or study gold coins - you wont see me posting my opinions on issues Im not well reversed in.

Enjoy your day.

lol... why bother to even justify your comments ? :roflmao:

I actually had the Kennedy thread in mind, and I couldn't tell whether you couldn't see the difference in toning quality of whether your entire post was hyperbole. In any event, I'm not justifying myself - merely stating my observations of the market.

The coins I posted were by far more colorful than the 73-D that just sold for $40. I like the 73-D but I wouldnt have paid $40 for it.

Link to the thread discussing these?

If modern toners arent your area of specialty why comment on them ?

I'm not claiming to be an expert in anything, but when I see comments that I think are baseless or wrong, I am going to call them out as such. Again, I had the Kennedy thread in mind.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in anything, but when I see comments that I think are baseless or wrong, I am going to call them out as such. Again, I had the Kennedy thread in mind.

Then whats your basis of knowledge ? How many modern toners do you own ? How often do you buy them ? How often do you sell them ? How often do you submit them to NCG and PCGS ? How often do you track the auction prices of modern toners ?

Would you say you specialize in modern toners ?

I dont see you listing modern toners as even an area of interest in your tag line.

Areas of Interest: Southern Mint gold; early copper; high end U.S. type coinage; proof like and DMPL/DPL coinage; toners including Peace Dollars and classic gold; 1936-1942 cameo proofs; matte proof Lincoln Cents and Buffalo Nickels; and Capped Bust Half Dollars.

So you know, Ive been collecting, studying and selling modern toners for 10 years. And by modern I mean clad coins. I submit modern toners to NCG and PCGS on a regular basis. I track their auction prices and keep records of such.

You can certainly state your opinion but please state what your opinion is based on ? Your personal feeling or actual facts ?

So when someone states their opinion as fact I can call it out as well.

Then whats your basis of knowledge ? How many modern toners do you own ? How often do you buy them ? How often do you sell them ? How often do you submit them to NCG and PCGS ? How often do you track the auction prices of modern toners ?

Would you say you specialize in modern toners ?

I dont see you listing modern toners as even an area of interest in your tag line.

Areas of Interest: Southern Mint gold; early copper; high end U.S. type coinage; proof like and DMPL/DPL coinage; toners including Peace Dollars and classic gold; 1936-1942 cameo proofs; matte proof Lincoln Cents and Buffalo Nickels; and Capped Bust Half Dollars.

So you know, Ive been collecting, studying and selling modern toners for 10 years. And by modern I mean clad coins. I submit modern toners to NCG and PCGS on a regular basis. I track their auction prices and keep records of such.

You can certainly state your opinion but please state what your opinion is based on ? Your personal feeling or actual facts ?

So when someone states their opinion as fact I can call it out as well.

Don't interpret non-specialization with ignorance of the subject matter. And you may very well disagree with my conclusion or statements, but the statements are based on what I have seen pieces sell for. Regardless equating the coins in this thread to the other threads is not realistic. It is a strawman argument crafted to equate disagreeing with you on the value of inferior/qualitatively different to the coins in this thread. It is a logical fallacy at best.