• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple toned ASE's

12 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of ASE's that I've had for a while. I got them when they were white. The 1988 I got back in 1988 The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc2005_rASEo1th_zpsce3e9a99.jpgbc2005_rASEr1th_zps24bb7bd3.jpg

bc1988_rASEo6th_zpsf393b95f.jpg

bc1988_rASEr6_zpsa970cd68.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like them.

The 1988 was stored in a thin cardboard presentation inside a small plastic case. For most of it's life it was in an SDB. The 2005 I left on a pad of yellow writing paper with a sheet or two of paper covering it. The pad was near a window, so the sun touched the pad on a regular basis.

A few weeks ago, I had the interesting experience of examining a collection & hoard that had been kept in a part of West Virginia where the air smells of sulfur. Among the hoard were several boxes of silver eagles. Nearly every coin in every box was black on the edge and black fading to purple toward the center on the faces....much too deeply tarnished to remove without leaving residue. An experienced retail dealer was with me. Fortunately, the family was only looking for silver value and had no delusions about selling for the color (there was none) or condition.

If collectors do not take care to protect their precious "toned" coins, they will continue to tarnish over time into black