• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1895 Morgan, graded by NGC as VF25???

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC has certified a number of proofs in the circulated grades, but always as PF. This coin would be labeled as PF 25.

This looks like a simple typo to me. Even though the holder says PR 25, he is probably reading it as VF25 out of habit. That would be easy to do, although, I would be more careful with describing such an expensive coin.

if the holder says vf 25 then it is a typo ........ just a mistake........

jsimply return the coin to ngc and they will reholder as pf 25

nothing more nothing less

sincerely michael

Nope, no confirmed 1895 Morgan circulation strikes. Though surely there's a coin doctor out there who would be willing to try to "convert" a proof, as long as it was someone else's coin smile.gif

When I was a kid I always wondered if a 1913 Liberty nickel in G4 would be worth more than a proof (after all, such a coin would be more "rare" than a proof).

Probably not, but if a genuine one showed up what would it be worth? I'll guess 300K.

If he listed it as PF25 many people wouldn't understand the grade. After all, how often do you hear collectors say things like "How can a coin be a proof and also be circulated?".

MANY people just don't understand that proof isn't a condition/grade.