• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morocco 100 Francs - NEW PICS

31 posts in this topic

Just got this incredibly rare 100 Francs in the mail. They minted 10 million of them, but then melted nearly the whole run. Krause says there are less than 100 known. I've been after one for years, and finally scored one. Guess the grade!

IMG_8512_zps2cfa7f95.jpg

IMG_8507_zps8b6ba3ae.jpg

I'll throw out a guess of 64. I'm not sure how big that coin is and how distracting the marks really are. Actually going back to take a look, I'll call it a 65.

I didn't know that you were a big collector of foreign coins (other than old Shillings).

I do like the old Shillings. I collect a couple of other things as well, but I don't tend to talk about them (because there are far fewer people excited about them.) My CBHs and PLs are popular and generate conversation - so I post them and talk about them.

I wouldn't say I'm a big collector of foreign stuff, but it proves an entertaining diversion when the PL's run dry (or, more recently, go for crazy prices).

Wow, 10 million minted and only 100 survived? Congrats on your find!

Since it's the size of a dime I'll say those scattered contact marks are tiny - I'll go with 65.

Wow, 10 million minted and only 100 survived? Congrats on your find!

In 12 years of watching Ebay for them, I've seen 4. This is the first time I saw one up for auction at the same time that I've had money to buy it.

Congratulations Jason. The chase was probably worth it as that's a very cool coin. Thanks for sharing it.

I know all the guesses have been MS, but I'm going with AU58. I don't know this coin at all, but I'm concerned with the rim condition from 12 o'clock to 3 on the reverse. It looks worn. Could be a minting issue as well, just not sure. The coin as a whole looks fully lusterous from the pictures and that, coupled with my perceived wear, is why I'm saying it's AU58. I'm likely wrong.

Most of you had pretty good guesses. I know my pics aren't the greatest.

In hand, this thing has blazing luster. The marks are miniscule (and the pictures are about a thousand times life-sized). My opinion of the coin is that it is a very strong 66.

NGC called it an MS-67.

Jason, sorry I missed this one! Lovely coin...my gut feeling was MS66 before seeing your reveal. At that level (66/67) it's hard to distinguish much. Great newp! Congrats...

(thumbs u

In hand, this thing has blazing luster. The marks are miniscule (and the pictures are about a thousand times life-sized). My opinion of the coin is that it is a very strong 66.

NGC called it an MS-67.

Congrats on the grade and coin.

I guessed AU58 because of what I perceived to be rim wear on the reverse. With the coin in hand, is the picture just a bad representation of the rim? If the rim is "worn" in that area, is it because of a poor strike? I'd like to get your feedback.

NGC called it an MS-67.

I guessed AU58 because of what I perceived to be rim wear on the reverse. With the coin in hand, is the picture just a bad representation of the rim? If the rim is "worn" in that area, is it because of a poor strike? I'd like to get your feedback.

Forget about an area on the rim and look at the luster and surfaces of the coin. ;)

NGC called it an MS-67.

I think the very large pictures over emphasized the marks, and thus, the reason that I (and presumably some of the other posters) guessed so low. In any event, awesome coin! I believe yours is a top pop.

NGC called it an MS-67.

JP - I'm not sure what you are talking about wear on the rim? My pictures are very large and somewhat mediocre quality.

And yes, it is Top Pop. I believe there are 3 at this grade - and I've seen 65's go for hundreds more than what I paid.

Bob - 1370 is the Hejira date. The Islamic calendar has Year 0 as the year Muhammed fled from Mecca to Medina. This happened in 622 AD. Additionally, AH is a lunar calendar, so a simple conversion is not possible.

This coin was minted in 1950 AD.

NGC called it an MS-67.

Forget about an area on the rim and look at the luster and surfaces of the coin. ;)

Thanks! Over analyzation noted....lol.

Well heck, you should take that as a compliment!
Jason has moved to the top of the class.

Great photos!!

Oh, believe me, I take these as very high compliments indeed. I need to practice with my new setup a bit, but I'll post results and show my rig when I get it all figured out.