• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very good news for numismatics / very bad news for coin doctors

10 posts in this topic

Perhaps I didn't read far enough, but I am a little confused, is this going to be a new grading service, or an independent review service, or a group or vigilantes hunting down the desperados of the hobby? It wasn't really clear from Laura's post. confused.gif

IMWO, The coin doctors should be shot! But I don't think we need another service to pay fees to. PCGS and NGC , (if they are slabing doctored coins) need to clean up their own act.

I know this all stems from a puttied gold coin that was graded and slabed by PCGS. Maybe PCGS needs to look a little closer and a little longer at a coin before giving a grade!! Also if Laura's and Mark's experts says a slabed coin is doctored and PCGS or NGC says it isn't then who is correct!! This new service maybe what the doctor ordered but IMO it could be opening another can of worms...

BankNote1 ,

The coin doctor problem goes FAR beyond the puttied $20 you mentioned. It has been and is now, a major problem that will not go away on its own.

The can of worms has already been opened by the bad guys - perhaps it can be closed by the good ones.

I think the service would be good, however, it just seems to be another service. PCGS and NGC are the ones that need to shape up, because it's obvious that they're not successfully persecuting the problem. I realize that not every doctored/ATed/altered coin can be detected, but they can do a pretty good job of detecting them by taking more time in looking at coins. Coin collecting doesn't seem like coin collecting anymore. It seems more like a battle. Numismatics is starting to lose its appeal. It's completely ridiculous.

jtryka,

It will be an independent group, with a great deal of expertise and clout.

No offense Mark, but could you be any less specific? That accurately describes many groups, from the Federal Reserve board of governors, to the CFR, to the Issaquah city council. Will these folks be merely reviewing coins for a fee? Will they offer their own certification service? Will they only review raw or certified coins? Will they be doing private investigations into alleged coin doctors? Will there be arrests? Executions? Sorry, I just don't get it. Sounds to me like a group doing what we are already supposed to be paying the professional services to do for us.

jtryka ,

I don't mean to be vague, but at this point, the information contained in the thread I linked is all I know. Compared to what we have now and based on the fact that John Albanese will be involved, I'm highly confident it will be a huge positive.You are perfectly free to require specific information before you join in my optimism.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i look forawrd to this and it will be one of the better things to come out of the coin market since the inception of ngc/pcgs!!

i think this might put an almost complete stop to coin doctoring with the intent to get it into a pcgs/ngc holder

it is a great start and i think overall will be highly positive to/for the market

i am sure nothing is perfect but this idea if correctly implemented should come close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i hope mark you are directly involved in thia also!!

sincerely michael