• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When sending coins in for regrade, do you crack them out first?

12 posts in this topic

I have several friends that routinely crack coins out of their holders prior to sending them in for regrade. They are convinced that the graders are told what the previous grade for the coin was if sent in still in the holder, and therefore believe they have less of a chance of receiving a higher grade. Personally, I believe that NGC has a process in place such that this concern is not warranted.

The obvious downside to this practice is that the certified coin population is overstated, since the same coin may have several different active registry numbers assigned to it. I urge people to at least send in the old holders so that the numbers can then be retired, but most won't. I will only send the coins in for regrade in their holders, because of the above, but I also don't trust myself to not accidentally damage the coin during removal.

What are your thoughts?

I tend to crack out before sending in. The rationale is several: I fear that a 63.9 might stay 63 if in the holder, but may 64 if outside the holder; and, the holder is another layer of distraction between the coin and the grader.

I know it's a risk cracking the coin out, but that's why it's best to do this with coins that are really high-end for the grade.

EVP

tend to crack out before sending in. The rationale is several: I fear that a 63.9 might stay 63 if in the holder, but may 64 if outside the holder; and, the holder is another layer of distraction between the coin and the grader.

I know it's a risk cracking the coin out, but that's why it's best to do this with coins that are really high-end for the grade.

EVP

I'm not sure about PCGS, but NGC (my understanding) will crack the coin out before sending it to the grader.....

I'm not too experienced at coin crossing but I do not crack them out. First, I'm very concerned with damaging the coin at Crack-out time and second, I believe NGC when they that they de-slab the coin before the grader gets it. Twowood crazy.gif

It all depends on the level of risk one wishes to assume. A crossover at "any" grade is essentially the same as cracking the coin. Here's why: The coins are cracked before they go to the graders for both PCGS and NGC. If, on the other hand, one wishes to specify the lowest grade a coin can assume during crossover, then the coin is first evaluated in the holder to see if it can, with all certainty, attain the grade specified. The grading services are very stringent in their evaluation of this criterion. No doubt, the bias is to objectify on the low end of the current grade and the high end of the desired grade

It is complete guesswork to know how much bias is introduced in the process of crossover, but the going rate of crossovers range generally from 20 to 35 percent, so there is a bias. Perhaps this is due to the failsafe mechanism of only accpting crossovers that are on the potentially high end for the desired grade.

Hoot

A crossover at "any" grade is essentially the same as cracking the coin. Here's why: The coins are cracked before they go to the graders for both PCGS and NGC.

My understanding is that for NGC "Cross at any grades" are first examined by a grader to make sure they will not be bodybagged. Then they are cracked and graded. You are given a level of protection.

One of the issues that we should keep in mind is that by cracking out the coin and sending it in for grading results in the population of that issue being overstated, and effectively devaluing every coin at that grade. If NGC's pop report says there are 50 coins at MS65 for a given issue, how many of those graded are the same actual coin cracked out and sent back hoping to get a 66?

I almost always crack coins out, so technically I suppose they're not a regrade. To do this, you need to have at least some confidence in your grading ability and in the quality of the coin(s) you're submitting. Various circumstances come into play, for instance, I recently submitted a proof type coin in its NGC holder for designation review (cameo). Since I agreed with the coin's numerical grade already, there was no need to crack the coin out. Another example was a toned proof Walker that I recently submitted for an Earlybird regrade, in its NGC PF65 holder, and I felt it may have been risky breaking the coin out. I wanted to keep the guarantee intact.

Just two examples where I kept the coins in the holder for submission, but I almost always crack coins out first.

I almost always crack the coin out of the original holder. I can count the times I've left the coin in the holder on two hands (yes, I'm a math wiz wink.gif)

If I was dealing with something expensive enough to make me feel uncomfortable, I'd leave it in the holder. One really expensive coin (expensive to me anyway $3kish) I cracked out. Things worked out in my favor, but I sweat too much for anymore of that!

As for the certificates, I stockpile them up, and when I have a dozen or so, I DO send them in to the appropriate service. What the services do with my envelope........who knows! smile.gif