• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High relief Kennedy vs original 1964 or I believe it to be HR.

14 posts in this topic

I suspect that the OP is seeing differences in the geometry of the reverse and interpreting them as an increase in relief.

I was looking over the type coins I have in my collection for the Kennedy half dollar. These include the following:

1964 in NGC Proof-67, Ultra Cameo (90% silver type)

1969-S in NGC Proof-67, Ultra Cameo (40% silver type)

1976-S Clad, PCGS PR-69, Deep Cameo (Clad Bicentennial)

1976-S Silver Clad, PCGS PR-69, Deep Cameo (40% Silver Bicentennial)

1978-S Clad, PCGS PR-69, Deep Cameo (Clad Heraldic Eagle Reverse)

2006-S Silver, NGC PR-69, Ultra Cameo (Modern 90% silver Proof type)

Looking at these six coins I decided the Gilroy Roberts did the best job of all with the Kennedy bust. The 2006 coin kind of looks like a cartoon. I don't have a great picture of it, the artwork makes Kennedy look like he has mumps, and his hair has no subtlety. It's way too thick with too much detail.

All of the "modern" portraits lack subtlety and artistic treatment. Much of this is tied to production efficiency, but I feel some of it is due to the loss of an artist's hand-on work in plaster and steel. The machine is repetitive, sterile, accurate and imbues no humanity in the product.

"A work of art comes only from the hand of mankind." [RWB, 2014]

I guess I haven't paid much attention to the mint set versions of the Kennedy. TBH, I'm quite put off by them, the hair is atrocious and the neck gash is quite unsightly.

I have yet to see these 2014 HR's in hand, but they do appear to have the pre-1991 business strike design with well prepared working dies, special planchets and better handling. It might very well be considered 'high relief' of the 50th anniversary of this design.

All of the "modern" portraits lack subtlety and artistic treatment. Much of this is tied to production efficiency, but I feel some of it is due to the loss of an artist's hand-on work in plaster and steel. The machine is repetitive, sterile, accurate and imbues no humanity in the product.

"A work of art comes only from the hand of mankind." [RWB, 2014]

"Truth crushed to earth is truth still and like a seed will rise again.".....................JEFFERSON DAVIS

"Truth crushed to earth is truth still and like a seed will rise again.".....................JEFFERSON DAVIS

Only if it is Truth.