• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 Lincoln Cent- Need help with this one!

14 posts in this topic

While searching through some rolls of Steel Wheat Cents, I came across this coin here-

IMG_0926_zps51b990e3.jpg

IMG_0927_zps4c959d39.jpg

I know that the 1983 Cents are supposed to be 99.2% Zinc, .8% pure copper and a copper plated layer. The 99.2% Zinc core weight is 2.4375 grams and the .8% copper plus copper plating weight is .0625 grams(Total content .975% Zinc, .025% Copper). But when I weigh the coin, it comes out to .05 oz(my scale will not read tenths in grams, it only says the coin weighs 1 gram) and when you do the conversion of ounces to grams, it weighs in at a hefty 1.41748 grams. So I am missing 1.08252 grams.

Is this something I should investigate further, or has anyone seen or heard of a 1983 Lincoln Cent like this?

More than likely there is a plausible explanation of weight loss.

Unplated zinc planchet comes to mind...also acid etched PMD damage.

This is worth looking into as there a known specimens of mint errors.

Although there is some corrosion on the coin, likely due to being stored with the Steel Cents, the coin does not appear to have any type of pitting or signs of other damage. I also thought it was an unplated zinc planchet but the weight is completely wrong. The thickness of the planchet is actually a bit thicker than a normal 1983 Cent, but not by much. Since there doesn't appear to be much circulation wear, where did that extra gram go? The .8% composition of copper only makes up .0625 grams of the coin's total weight. So I still need to find that other 1.02002 grams of missing weight!

Although there is some corrosion on the coin, likely due to being stored with the Steel Cents, the coin does not appear to have any type of pitting or signs of other damage. I also thought it was an unplated zinc planchet but the weight is completely wrong. The thickness of the planchet is actually a bit thicker than a normal 1983 Cent, but not by much. Since there doesn't appear to be much circulation wear, where did that extra gram go? The .8% composition of copper only makes up .0625 grams of the coin's total weight. So I still need to find that other 1.02002 grams of missing weight!

My opinion is that until you come up with a gram scale you're just estimating, speculating and hoping for the best.

The entire point behind acid removal of the copper is that the acid does not affect the zinc. Otherwise, the coin would just dissolve.

It's just been messed with IMO.

My opinion is that until you come up with a gram scale you're just estimating, speculating and hoping for the best.

The entire point behind acid removal of the copper is that the acid does not affect the zinc. Otherwise, the coin would just dissolve.

It's just been messed with IMO.

There isn't much speculation on the weight. My scale reads into the thousandths when weighing in ounces, so I'm sure it's pretty accurate on the weight.

Even if I am wrong, how is it that an acid wash would remove a full gram of weight when the copper layer and plating only weigh .0625 grams, and the coin's thickness and diameter has not changed?

I have a bit of new information about this coin. I brought a scale home from the farm that reads grams into the tenths and I re-weighed this coin. As it turns out, the coin does weigh 2.4 grams. The calibration was off on my other scale and that is why I was getting the incorrect weight.

So now that I know the weight is correct, should I still assume that this coin has been washed in acid to remove the copper plate? What are some of the signs that I should look for that would indicate an acid wash, or are there any(other than the corrosion)? Being stored in a roll of Steel Wheats was not helpful for the coin either and I believe that is where a good majority of the corrosion has come from.

I believe I already stated that this was an unplated cent. I've seen these before and they look exactly like this. Probably not worth a whole heck of a lot in this state of preservation.

I believe I already stated that this was an unplated cent. I've seen these before and they look exactly like this. Probably not worth a whole heck of a lot in this state of preservation.

But with the unplated zinc planchets, wouldn't there be luster to the piece (even though zinc is highly reactive and might oxidize, I would expect something)? The piece in the original post looks to be a deep dark grey, devoid of luster, and rather lifeless. Based on this and surface conditions, that's why I stated that it looked like it had been treated with acid. Depending on the length of exposure, molarity of the acid, and dilution of the acid used, the weight might not be significantly affected.