• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50th Uncirc Kennedy Comparison

15 posts in this topic

So I just took a couple quick pics. One is of the regular 2014 Kennedy sitting in my dansco and the other is the Annv Kennedy I got in the Uncirculated set. Looks like most of the difference is in the hair.

AnnvKennedyComparison_zps4068cad9.jpg

Agree but the major difference is in the "size" of the profile itself which experienced some shrinkage in 1996 and again in 2000.

SidebySide2014-DKennedy_zpsb9edb09c.jpg

Notice how the head encroaches more on the "B" and also extends further down the coin by the date.

Hey Bobby... cool pics. I was uware that these 2014 "commems" had the "high relief" or whatever, (I think it is simply put, the 1964 design, with very minor changes from that).

I am wondering though, what reverse did they use on these 2014 commens? If it is the same as the gold coins, they are just the same old boring reverses as all the rest of the post 2000 Kens..

which is it bsshog?

Hey Bobby... cool pics. I was uware that these 2014 "commems" had the "high relief" or whatever, (I think it is simply put, the 1964 design, with very minor changes from that).

I am wondering though, what reverse did they use on these 2014 commens? If it is the same as the gold coins, they are just the same old boring reverses as all the rest of the post 2000 Kens..

which is it bsshog?

I didn't see any differences in the reverses. Of course, I haven't put a loupe to it. lol Just glancing at them, they look the same.

which is it bsshog?

I didn't see any differences in the reverses. Of course, I haven't put a loupe to it. lol Just glancing at them, they look the same.

Without considering minor die variances, the reverses all match the 2014 circulation coins in that, nothing was changed.

Too bad since those "arrowhead" coulda used a little work as they look like they were drawn by a three year old and they've been that way for quite some time!

which is it bsshog?

Without considering minor die variances, the reverses all match the 2014 circulation coins in that, nothing was changed.

Too bad since those "arrowhead" coulda used a little work as they look like they were drawn by a three year old and they've been that way for quite some time!

That is nonsense that they didn't change the reverse. The reverse in 1964 had a higher relief, they should have restored that too.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 1964 portrait was restored, but with the smaller lettering of recent years. All the legends are set further from the borders, something that has been done for decades now to reduce die erosion. Why the Mint believed this to be necessary on a coin of limited mintage remains a mystery. I suppose they're so used to do it routinely that the question didn't arise. The reverse is the same one used since 1988, with its very low relief.

My columns in The Numismatist for August, September and October address the various evolutionary steps in the Kennedy Half Dollar since 1964. These will reproduced within the NGC Newsletter in about a year's time.

The reverse was never very good - mushy and indefinite. Changes might have improved technical production, but the coin has suffered.

Here is a 1964-D which features the original die work on the hair. To my way of thinking it is more attractive. I bought this one from the coin counter at Gimbels Department Store in Philadelphia in the summer of 1964.

1964-DhalfdollarO_zps61e989e3.jpg1964-DhalfdollarR_zpsa301ab28.jpg