• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Website

13 posts in this topic

I am very new to coin collecting, and looked for many websites for helpful information. I did not find one until my friend recommended Logan's Coin Guide! It was wonderful! It had all the information I need! I go back every day and it is being updated frequently! I personally recommend it to every one! URL: loganscoinguide.weebly.com loganscoinguide.weebly.com

Nicely organized, but seems very sparse on content. Looks like a personal project and not a commercial production - that's not bad, it just might not meed expectations of some.

Bill, I think this guy is a member, I think I remember his requesting our reviews on this site. I think I remember he's just starting out, too. With a bang, lol.

Sorry! Im sorry you thought that was spam. I just got excited when I saw a great Coin website!

I think there are much better sites out there with much more useful information than what it given on this site. Most of the material is quite generic and not series specific. I applaud the creator for his efforts but this information is readily available in several publications, such as The Red Book.

Unfortunately, I would not call it a "great coin website". If you are looking for a great coin website, you are already here. The NGC website and the Collector's Society chat boards can provide much more than repeated, generic information.

Pricing info is useless, b/c it is not even broken down by grade----just one basic figure for each issue. The whole site seems rather sparse and generalized (only a couple of random articles). While I DO appreciate the effort----It seems rather limited and homemade.

Pricing info is useless, b/c it is not even broken down by grade----just one basic figure for each issue. The whole site seems rather sparse and generalized (only a couple of random articles). While I DO appreciate the effort----It seems rather limited and homemade.

Yes, I agree. Put more bluntly, and no insult to the OP, but I see the web site as being pretty much worthless. The OP would be better off buying a Redbook and reading it from cover to cover and then reading the forums here and on the PCGS website. I would then read Scott Travers's The Coin Collector's Survival Manual. Then pick up the ANA Grading Standards or other grading book. I did all of this when I started out and found it helpful. OP there are also some other books I can suggest after those, but I think those are the most important to start with.

What book do you guys think I should use for grading?

I started out using James Rudy's Photograde and the Official ANA Grading Guide. I know that PCGS also published their standards, which might be worth a look, although I envision that all of the information in their grading book is available on this free section of their website called "PCGS Photograde." I still recommend books too though. I think the PCGS Photograde website is immensely useful, and I wish it was around when I first started learning to grade twenty years ago. http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

welcome to the boards

please buy this; it is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Standards-American-Numismatic-Association/dp/0794838243/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408509479&sr=1-1&keywords=ana+grading+guide

What book do you guys think I should use for grading?

I'd suggest PCGS grading guide. I thought the first edition was better but maybe you can check out both at some point.

The ANA put out a video you might be able to find that I thought was great. JP Martin when he was working for ANACS did this but I don't remember the name of the vid off hand.

The BEST way to learn to grade is go to auction lot viewings....as many as possible.

jom