• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monday Morning Musings

13 posts in this topic

Just a few random thoughtsJust a few random thoughts on a lazy Monday morning, ( I guess everyday is lazy for me now in retirement).Reading about the ANA show and the US Mint's latest offering fiasco wasn't all that surprising to me as I saw the crazies and the lines at the Spring Baltimore Show. What did Gordan Gekko say about greed?Speaking of movies, caught one of my favorite comedies that I hadn't seen in a long time, Trading Places with Eddie Murphy. One favorite scene is when the Duke brothers explain to Billy Ray what a brokerage house does and how they always make money regardless if their clients are buying or selling, yup, you got it, kind of like Auction Houses......PS - Billy Ray said they were like bookies, got that Mortimer ?

I followed the on-line Heritage sale on Saturday morning and pricing, in general seemed very soft with lots of bargains to be had in the denominations I followed from the colonials through quarters. These are coins that typically go from the $500 to say $1,500 range and in general was definitely a buyer's market.

FMV especially for modern coins is way out of line. Everybody know the difference between historical and ahistorical and how the definition might be applied to coins? Enough said on this....The stock market took a nice little tumble last week, not sure how much can be attributed to poor earnings, how much to profit taking, and how much to world events that few in this country seem to be watching or understanding.My best weekend purchase no doubt was ordering Kevin Flynn's new book on Liberty Seated Half Dimes. I have Blythe's current definitive reference for the series, and it will be of great help to add a new cross-reference for the series. If you are buying coins and do not have a good reference library its kind of like going into a gun fight with a knife, not good odds unless you are Britt, aka James Coburn in the Magnificent Seven.Soon traveling down to the Peach State to see my mom who is not doing well, was planning on staying in Dalton for a few nights and attending the Blue Ridge Show but that has all changed. Will try to get a quick visit in to Dahlonega , check out my property doings in Blairsville, and then a quick trek to Stone Mountain before leaving. I finally have the pronunciation of Dahlonega down, my northern pronunciation was all wrong, but now I'm speaking Southern, yup , I got Pecan down now also....

Thanks for reading

Cheers!

Rich

See more journals by RichH

I was egging on the ega to start with

I had it as : doll un egga

I think more like : duh lonna guh

Six Mile Rick, can you hyphenate correctly? If you do I will be happier than a tick on a fat dog !

Rich

Hello

I bid and won a PCGS 1861 S XF40 dime, I had increased by bid thinking I was going to have serious competition for it, it only went up one increment during the live auction. I was shocked, but happy, I thought the price was a steal.

Carlos

Speaking of books and Dahlonega, I added several books to my reference library while at the ANA, and one of them was a book on the history of the Dahlonega Mint.

"The Neighborhood Mint - Dahlonega in the Age of Jackson" by Sylvia Gailey Head and Elizabeth W. Etheridge.

I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but it looks like a good read.

I was egging on the ega to start with

I had it as : doll un egga

I think more like : duh lonna guh

Six Mile Rick, can you hyphenate correctly? If you do I will be happier than a tick on a fat dog !

Rich

Dall a neg a ??? May be a Northern/Southern mix. :grin:

The only tic on a dog that is happy is a FAT TIC. :)

Duh-lon-uh-gah - accent on third syllable.

Dah-lon-ah-gah is also acceptable in better society.

Dah-loh-neg-ah or Dah-lon-aa-gah is northern pronunciation.

Original name was spelled Tahlonega but pronounced the same way.

PS: In some very rural parts of Alabama and Georgia "Dahlonega" is pronounced "Philadelphia." But that's a different story.

RWB-

==================================================

PS: In some very rural parts of Alabama and Georgia "Dahlonega" is pronounced "Philadelphia." But that's a different story.

That's great !!!

=====================================================

Yes, I was definitely doing #3 ,and the woman who I spoke to in Dublin GA that is helping me with my mom pronounced the 1st version.

Hoping the gift store at the museum has the book that coin928 referred to.

With the cost of healthcare for my mom going through the roof, I may also pan for gold while there.

Cheers !

Rich

Rich,

If you check the website: Dahlonega | Georgia.gov you'll find the paragraph...

Originally incorporated as Talonega in 1833, Dahlonega, pronounced "Dah-lahn-e-ga", grew out of a fever for gold. When prospectors found the coveted metal in the area, a flood of hopeful miners rushed to the area in the 1820s. Fittingly, the name "Dahlonega" is Cherokee for "golden color" or "yellow money". In fact, the city still has places where visitors can recreationally pan for gold.

which covers both the question of pronunciation and your desire to pan for gold.

I attended a coin show a few years ago and came across a coin dealer hailing from Dahlonega, so I asked him right then and there just exactly how to pronounce the name of his home town. Phonetically, it was pretty much as in the quote above, but he put the accent on the 2nd syllable.

The city also has its own web site at: Dahlonega | It's Pure Gold - Dahlonega Visitors Center

Have a good trip and I hope you enjoy your time in Dah-lahn'-e-ga. :)