• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's worth what someone will pay for it.

8 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that I am beating around the wrong bushes at the moment.

My focus is Lincolns. Always has been. It stands to reason that I got excited when I saw the long-standing Memorial reverse coming to an end and was looking forward to adding these new coins to my collection.

Forget it!

Even Memorials are selling at exorbitant prices.

I challenge anyone to look over the census of the 1930's Lincolns and compare quality and rarity and price to the modern 09 and Shield coins.

I've always thought that the 30's coins have been overlooked. I think I am going to go for a short set of 30's while the hype runs it's course.

See more journals by Captain Clipon

Hi Captain. Be patient and take your time. Collect what you enjoy. You might think I am a rich but like a lot of the collectors on here I get by on a disability pension from the Veterans Administration. All the coins within my collection were bought after I became disable. There are only about 5 coins within my collection that I paid over list price for. Yes sometimes it is necessary. All the other coins within my collection I bought for nowhere near list value. I searched and searched and made friends and in turn bought and traded and swapped coins and connected with some really great people who helped me. I have followed your collection and know you are frustrated by the price of a lot of the newer issues. Be patient. As more and more are sent in for grading and more and more make the grade the price will drop. Some sellers will always ask astronomical prices initially but as time goes by prices will drop. Don't be afraid too reach out too some of the dealers you see on Ebay. A lot of them have sites outside of Ebay where you can save a few dollars. Stay with it and enjoy it. My collection took a lot of time and patience and some really good people. A special thanks too my friend Michael VUMC409 for helping me along the way.

The only exorbitant prices are for pocket change put into plastic krap. You can find thousands of high quality memorial and wheat cents for a few cents each in rolls and w/o the expensive and completely unnecessary "grading."

The only exorbitant prices are for pocket change put into plastic krap. You can find thousands of high quality memorial and wheat cents for a few cents each in rolls and w/o the expensive and completely unnecessary "grading."

Dead on.

Captain,

Each of us goes through bouts of frustration in this hobby (much like any other hobby). We have all missed out on a piece that we "just couldn't live without" and most of us have bid too much for that certain coin.

Here is a deal for you. I know you need a 2014 P Lincoln. I have an extra that I bought "Really Cheap" and I will sell it to you for "Really Cheap" to help you get a new coin in your set. NGC MS68RD, top pop, right now anyway.

I first started my #3 Lincoln set in the summer of 2005 with the 2005 D SMS in MS 69 RD. I started selling those coins in late 2013. Nearly nine full years to build it and as of right now I only have twelve coins left to sell. It takes time, lots of times, to build a quality set and very often a lot of luck. Without looking them up, I'm going to say that approximately 20-30 coins in the 59-present set have pops of 20 or less, some as low as a pop 1. They just don't come up very often and when they do they get more attention than the common ones.

What ever you decide to collect, in what order, and how much you are willing to pay, just make sure it is what YOU want and are happy with. Opinions of others don't really matter, it is your collection.

As Doug mentioned, ALWAYS, if you need some guidance, or help with a coin, or even where to buy and sell, keep you fellow members in mind. There really is a vast amount of knowledge on this forum. As far as Lincolns are concerned, Doug is the man - you just simply can't find another on this board that has the knowledge to build a top set. BTW, he makes for one heck of a friend also.

FYI - the early 30s coins are hard to find and somewhat expensive in MS67RD, if you didn't already know.

Michael

Capt.

The Lincoln cent is the highest collected set there is. There are so many collectors for those little coppers that sales and auctions steady and raise values. A set that is very low on the list is nickels. But even then, when you decide to sell they are also hard to find high buyers as well!! :)

Rick

A few minutes' calculation suggests that a complete set of Memorial-back cents in superb condition can be assembled for less than the cost of authenticating, "grading," slabbing and mailing ONE 1969 Lincoln cent. (Excludes doubled dies and proofs.)