• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this be why the bidding is so strong on the PR67+RB 1909VDB MPL?

39 posts in this topic

Big scratch on the B in liberty. 66

That's a die scratch. It appears on most VDB's. 68

Having had that coin in my mitts I tend to agree with you on the 68. However, a coin like that it hardly matters. It will always be the King of the Hill regardless of the grade.

M

Even if that was a "scratch", it would not necessarily stop a coin like that from grading 68, and it certainly wouldn't warrant a 66. Also, the fact that it can be seen in the picture tells us that it is not a scratch but actually raised, probably from die polishing.

That's a die scratch. It appears on most VDB's. 68

I was being facetious as the coin is obviously epic. But if I was the owner of it and posted it, that would be a consensus staple scratch for sure.

Even if that was a "scratch", it would not necessarily stop a coin like that from grading 68, and it certainly wouldn't warrant a 66. Also, the fact that it can be seen in the picture tells us that it is not a scratch but actually raised, probably from die polishing.

I can see the "scratch" but I certainly couldn't tell it was a die issue...I don't know the series all that well. I would presume then that if it were scratched I highly doubt CAC could gold sticker a 67 coin.

jom

I can see the "scratch" but I certainly couldn't tell it was a die issue...I don't know the series all that well. I would presume then that if it were scratched I highly doubt CAC could gold sticker a 67 coin.

jom

Here are cropped images of 7 VDB's along with Jonathan's former VDB. They all show the same die scratch.

Jonathan's

1.jpg

The other 7.

VDB1.jpgVDB2.jpgVDB3.jpgVDB4.jpg

VDB5.jpgVDB6.jpgVDB7.jpg

So many are rainbow toned.

:grin:

I did throw one RD in there (2nd from the left, top row)

The Red really brings out the beauty of the staple scratch on the die.