• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the smell still make it a rose?

16 posts in this topic

A rose is a rose is a rose. Right? Not so sure.

I love doubled die coins. I love having them in my registry set. the 1972 DDO has been eluding me for a while so I decided to do a little research on the 72 Doubled die, or should that be dies. There are at least 8 that are recognized and probably countless more minor ones that no one pays attention to. To most the 72 FS 101 is THE coin.

My research took me to the registry points listing in the NGC archives and low and behold, the FS 103 RD has the same point listings as the FS 101. The key is that it has to be RED.

Knowing that a 1972 MS64RD FS 101 would be out of my budget range, I started looking for the FS 103.

Yup! 1972 MS64RD FS-103 that I could afford and gives me the same registry points as the "real" one.

My only question; Is it a rose?

See more journals by Captain Clipon

Captain,

As your collecting knowledge grows and matures, come back every so often and repeat this question to yourself. I would be surprised if you will still make the same decision further down the road than you have just made. Not just on the Lincoln's but also with any series, budget not withstanding.

Michael

If your goal is to collect registry points then yes. If your goal is too collect the best coins out there within your budget that also will gain in value than I think down the road the answer will be no. Be patient and get the ones you really want

Hopefully the OP is happy with the minor variety purchase.

Interesting that he did his homework, and still bought the FS-103, so hopefully no buyer's remorse if this coin fit his budget and he likes it.

With regard to points, the Captain seemed to have answered his own question, and well knows the values didn't pass his own "smell test"

Me personally IMHO, I say points are a little overrated. One of the pitfalls of the registry is that it is very easy to get addicted to the points and almost forget about the coins! I say get the coin you want unless you intend for the coin you have to serve as a placeholder for the coin you want. In the end it's about the coins you really want. Many a time it is that I have regretted cheaping out for a lesser coin. Few are the times I have regretted buying a more expensive coin over a similar cheaper coin that did not have the eye appeal of the more expensive coin. Of course we all have to be mindful of our budgets but to stretch a little to get something you really want is not a bad thing. IMO

Gary

All that and more went through my head and this is not a new question on this very coin(s).

The FS-103 is striking in it's own right but still, to "settle"...

When I found this site I discovered the competitive sets. It took me all but three seconds to understand the implications. It also hit me that I would be competing with literally millionaires. I do what I can to give myself the edge and constantly look for the advantage. It's both a game and a collection. And more.

I still haven't quite figured out what I get out of collecting, but for the mean time I attempt to be frugal, by many standards.

Thanks for your open comments. It's exactly what I look for.

When I found this site I discovered the competitive sets. It took me all but three seconds to understand the implications. It also hit me that I would be competing with literally millionaires.

MILLIONAIRES ???

And all this time I figured we were all just coin broke junkies. lol

Captain,

You will find that many of us are just as strapped for funds as you are. Myself, I live on SSA disability benefits. Many times I have traded coins, used various payment plans, and sometimes even begged for a lower price and borrowed what I didn't have.

What I failed to mention in my previous post is this: If it makes you happy, that is really all that matters in the long run.

In terms of Lincolns and my previous number 3 set, I simply did what was necessary to get what I wanted. In my case that was to have the highest ranking set I could muster. I achieved that and then "life" hit. So I am down to twelve coins in the set and do not regret a minute of it. Why? Because I collected what satisfied me!

Of that set I still own about a dozen of my "top" coins. Of those is my 1972 DDO Fs-101 in NGC MS66RD. I obtained that coin by trading 18 other coins from different series. Both the seller and I were happy and I love the coin!

Regardless, despite my previous words, collect what makes you happy!

I leave you with a picture of my 1972 DDO.

Michael

<a  href=1972DDOMS66RDComp_zpsc612fd3c.jpg' alt='

Captain,

You will find that many of us are just as strapped for funds as you are. Myself, I live on SSA disability benefits. Many times I have traded coins, used various payment plans, and sometimes even begged for a lower price and borrowed what I didn't have.

What I failed to mention in my previous post is this: If it makes you happy, that is really all that matters in the long run.

In terms of Lincolns and my previous number 3 set, I simply did what was necessary to get what I wanted. In my case that was to have the highest ranking set I could muster. I achieved that and then "life" hit. So I am down to twelve coins in the set and do not regret a minute of it. Why? Because I collected what satisfied me!

Of that set I still own about a dozen of my "top" coins. Of those is my 1972 DDO Fs-101 in NGC MS66RD. I obtained that coin by trading 18 other coins from different series. Both the seller and I were happy and I love the coin!

I know how it feels when "life hits". I had to sell my 09-S VDB last year. Nice XF45 with a wood grain to it. Beautiful. At least I had it when I needed the money.

With the 72FS-103, I couldn't pass up 1100 points for $75.00.

Why are "register points" important?

In the competitive sets, you actually compete with other people in the same set.

Points are all that matters in your ranking. Not the best setup. A Lincoln red coin has a higher point value than a red/brown or brown. I think the toned coins have much more personality, but I don't set the point values. If I see a toned coin that I can't live without I simply put it aside with my raw Lincoln set, which is complete except for the 09-S VDB.

Captain,

I leave you with a picture of my 1972 DDO.

Michael

<a  href=1972DDOMS66RDComp_zpsc612fd3c.jpg' alt='

1. I, too am on disability.

2. Did you frame out this coin? Impressive presentation. I just got back into photographing my coins for my registry set. I have a HUGE 95 DDO as my desktop background that I took yesterday. Came out beautifully.

Why are "register points" important?

I will say this about points. Most of the sets I collect will never compete as the top set. For instance, I will be lucky if my Morgan set will ever break the top 100 sets. However, I find points useful in measuring the quality of my sets against my personal goals and budget. They also help me to gauge growth from within my collection. Thus I find points a useful tool to help me meet my personal collecting goals.

Gary

I did do the presentation with a lot of guidance from many people here. My whole set was done this way before I started selling them.

Good luck on getting yours done. It is no small task to get them done.

Michael