• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Worthy?

14 posts in this topic

I just picked up this 64D Washie. It's in a PCGS holder.

I'm not crazy about the dark stuff at 3 o'clock.

Would you/NGC consider giving this one a star?

IMG_3221_zps20c6b030.jpg

I can't make any opinion without seeing the reverse.

However, the obverse alone just doesn't seem to have enough "pop" for a star. It is a very attractive coin, and I like the colors.... it just doesn't scream "star" to me. However, the star is a seemingly random thing, subject to the whims and fancies of the graders that day. I think it comes down to whether the graders had a bear claw or a strawberry pastry for breakfast that morning.

However, the obverse alone just doesn't seem to have enough "pop" for a star. It is a very attractive coin, and I like the colors.... it just doesn't scream "star" to me. However, the star is a seemingly random thing, subject to the whims and fancies of the graders that day. I think it comes down to whether the graders had a bear claw or a strawberry pastry for breakfast that morning.

:roflmao:

...so true...

The reverse is 90% white with some scattered brown toning - nothing to help with a star designation.

This one likely just misses the cut ;)

Thanks All!

It's an incredibly common coin with spotty tarnish....Maybe you should check with the famous "International Star Registry" for your star?

This type of color on a 1964 makes the coin something special, but the chance of a Star is small, because the toning scheme includes mottled dark spots.

It would also depend on what the reverse looks like.