• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this called a Die Clash?

9 posts in this topic

If so, is it common for there to be an impression on both the obverse and reverse? I don't see an impression on the reverse.

-

1990_D_001.gif

1990_D_002.gif

1990_D_003.gif

1990_D_004.gif

Hello,

I'm assuming that most of your photos are some sort of superimposed image that you have put together. I don't know what to make of those.

I can tell you that the most common of Lincoln cent die clashes show a pretty good ghost image of Lincolns profile on the reverse.

Paul

Hello,

I'm assuming that most of your photos are some sort of superimposed image that you have put together. I don't know what to make of those.

Paul

Yes that is correct. All the same coin.

The first picture shows the depression, yet not as well as I would have liked it to have shown it. It is very obvious in hand.

After looking at it for a while I decided to superimpose to see just how it would match up, and I think that is is a perfect match.

The reverse does not seem to exhibit a clash impression. I noticed from this web site that under clashed dies, he makes the point that the clash would be on both dies.

Just trying to accurately label the coin in a 2x2.

It's not a clash, but improper metal flow. It's very common on Standing Liberty quarters. There is an archival letter by the engraver mentioning this, but it gives no details.

OK. You have both broadened my knowledge and gave me something to work with.

It is a butt ugly coin ( I know) but I hate letting any coin go back into circulation that has a characteristic I have seldom encountered.

Thanks again.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger is correct in that the depression seen on the obverse of the cent is not die clashing. Clash lines are typically sharp, even after the die wears a bit. A vague outline of the coin's other side is the result of large, opposing die cavities causing erosion of the die surface from disproportionate movement of planchet metal after repeated strikings. The same "ghosts" are commonly seen on the larger size coins of Britain's Edward VII and the early (pre-1928) issues of George V.

Dave - I'm familiar with ghosting (especially on the cartwheel cents, but others as well). I was going to suggest that, but I haven't seen it as much on US coins. Is this something you commonly see on US coins?

The mid letter referred to SL quarters with the other side "showing through 'spongily'"