• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A theoretical question....

15 posts in this topic

I suspect the answer is no but.......

When selling a graded coin does the seller have any responsibility if the buyer elects to regrade the coin and it turns out to be restored? (shrug)

i would think if it was graded problem-free the first time, then the TPG who graded it as such would be responsible

if i was the seller, i would honor a return as long as the coin is still in the original holder. once it is cracked out, reholdered or anything - i would refuse to take it back.

When selling a graded coin does the seller have any responsibility if the buyer elects to regrade the coin and it turns out to be restored? (shrug)

By restored, do you mean re-tooled, puttied, filled, laser treatment?

Is it the same TPG doing the re-grading?

Or do you mean "market acceptable" enhancement?

Are there not many coins in Holders that received professional conservation treatments, and were market acceptable graded?

The question is not specific, and needs to be expanded if specificity in answering is the goal.

Once a coin is cracked out of the slab, all bets are off unless other arrangements or guarantees are made by the seller..

If it wasn't cracked out, and was submitted as a cross at same grade or higher scenario, then...?

i would think if it was graded problem-free the first time, then the TPG who graded it as such would be responsible

if i was the seller, i would honor a return as long as the coin is still in the original holder. once it is cracked out, reholdered or anything - i would refuse to take it back.

You are Joe the collector. You are not a Dealer. You are selling a coin....one collector to another collector. You don't possess any knowledge or suspicion that the coin is "re-stored". It could have been professionally conserved. The coin was submitted for re-grade in the original Holder. Why would honoring a return be your responsibility? I am not asking from a moral sense or a that is the kind of guy I am sense. I am speaking from a numismatic acceptability of transaction sense.

Lets apply some logic to this hypothetical situation. If the coin was sent for re-grading to the same TPG, it is quite probable they would refund/make whole/do something to correct the problem and compensate the Submitter for the problem.

I don't see the TPG trying to hide the problem. The TPG would want that wrongly graded coin off the street. It is bad for business.

If it was submitted to another TPG, and received a "re-stored" opinion, then it is still just an opinion. It does not mean it is a correct opinion.

I agree if it was cracked out and submitted (which by definition is not a re-grading), then there is no obligation of any nature that transfers to the Seller.

PerryHall said it exactly right. No matter what the buyer maintains, unless both parties agree, it's his coin no matter the outcome.

He didn't say this in an all scenario manner.. He said if it was cracked out. What if it wasn't? What if the Seller knew the problem and did not disclose it? What if the Seller was not Joe Collector but a Dealer that knew of the problem and didn't disclose it?

"Nope"

Assuming a slabbed coin; the seller and buyer had to agree on the coin at time of purchase. Thereafter, the seller cannot control the buyer's actions. If the coin has a problem in the original-slab-of-sale the recourse is to the grading company. If the buyer removes the coin, the chain of authentication and TPG opinion is broken and cannot be restored.

"Nope"

Assuming a slabbed coin; the seller and buyer had to agree on the coin at time of purchase. Thereafter, the seller cannot control the buyer's actions. If the coin has a problem in the original-slab-of-sale the recourse is to the grading company. If the buyer removes the coin, the chain of authentication and TPG opinion is broken and cannot be restored.

This

No. And if the coin happens to upgrade rather than being downgraded on resubmission, is the original seller entitled to a piece of the pie? No.

The example is simply "no" under all circumstances, except if the seller made some sort of foolish "guarantee" that the coin is problem-free (and I know of not a single seller who is that crazy).