• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smile! 1, 2, 3!

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone else hate it when they count before taking a picture?

OK, having troubles taking consistent pictures of my registry coins. I am able to get a great white (NGC) background in one picture but with the same elements the next pic comes out brown. The coins show up nice, but it's a horrible presentation. I use a finepix S1000 (old). Is it me or could the camera simply be wearing out? Come to think of it, I've never had luck with this camera regardless of what the subject is.

I've read a few articles, with little help.

Any suggestions?

See more journals by Captain Clipon

It's all in the lighting!! Try a couple pics outside on a good day and compare. You may need different type bulbs for inside. I can't do inside pics due to wood ceiling reflections. Changes the color!!!

Rick

Howdy,

Rick's right on, you might try to diffuse your light source and use a natural lite or halogen bulb, placed above or behind your camera and see if that helps it to meter the white balance correctly for better results. Hands free operation would also be helpful if you have a timer function on your camera, give that a try with a 3 sec delay or similar.

Also sounds as if you would benefit from a small light tent, when shooting coins indoors it will diffuse your light source while minimizing shadows and reflections. Your older first generation digital camera has all the features needed to take great photos of your coins but it still comes down to good lighting to optimize your cameras capability.

All the best,

Merlin8*

I bought $6 light fixtures from walmart and this set up

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/bacophkitout.html

And I use the cover w/zipper on top to just put the lense through so there is no reflection. I use a HP 935 (10yrs old) set to no flash & Macro.

Here is my very first picture on auto.

You do have to edit your pictures. I use my Photo Gallery Win7 then upload them to Photobucket and a little more edit then download them here.

I did a lot of reading and research. I received all of this yesterday evening and just got setting it all up just in the past hour. I still need some fine tuning but I got nothing but time. It should do very well with all type of coins.

Total cost less the camera----$130!!!!!!!!

c1269e26-f742-49bb-865a-992851837da8.jpg

4b80c00b-f9bd-419f-b18f-783c4bd7bf36.jpg

87d88b24-f55b-4b78-a328-796e49944b63.jpg

Hope this helps you and good luck!!!

Oh ya don't forget to use the timer!!!! No shaky shaky!!!!

It's all in the lighting!! Try a couple pics outside on a good day and compare. You may need different type bulbs for inside. I can't do inside pics due to wood ceiling reflections. Changes the color!!!

Rick

Funny you should say that, I tried that (and the quality goes up 20 fold) but it isn't a very convenient venue when taking lots of pics. I really get much better results under my carport where I get lots of dispersed lighting (no shadows).

My attempt to make a light box has not really panned out .

NEW CAMERA!

How about a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS 12.1 MP?? $200.00 won't cut much into my coin budget (after all we have to keep these things in perspective).

And I use the cover w/zipper on top to just put the lense through so there is no reflection. I use a HP 935 (10yrs old) set to no flash & Macro.

You do have to edit your pictures. I use my Photo Gallery Win7 then upload them to Photobucket and a little more edit then download them here.

I did a lot of reading and research. I received all of this yesterday evening and just got setting it all up just in the past hour. I still need some fine tuning but I got nothing but time. It should do very well with all type of coins.

My attempts to create a light box have been limited to trapping the light inside (Styrofoam) and directing the light from two directions. Light dispersement (is that word?) THROUGH material would allow me more options as to how to set up the lighting. Good idea and thank you for sharing.

IMO this entry is not really a journal entry. I suggest this is better posted on the Chat Board under the appropriate topic area.

I get it. I have been too isolated lately to remember the rules. It's been a while since I have posted in forums/chat rooms.

The two lamps are enough light? Incandescent bulbs or those swirly new-fangled florescent things? I think I prefer burning carbon to glowing gasses.

Oh, I have aquariums too so I thought I would try one of those "full spectrum" bulbs as a lighting source. DON'T TRY IT! It turns everything blue. Makes the fish look purdy, though.

I have been playing with different setups since seeing your post and have made some progress in creating a light tent. Question; do you photo your pics horizontal or prop them up using some brace?