• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are good auction houses to use to search and get coins? HA excluded

21 posts in this topic

What are good auction houses to use to search and get coins besides Hertiage Auction?

I have personally used Invaluable.com to go and find and win coins. it is a fairly simple and easy auction house to use. I have 16 approved auctions that I can go to and have already won 41 different lots. What are you opinions on this type of auction? I wont use ebay every again.

Thanks

kevin Callaway

Personally, I like Great Collections. They always have a nice selection of coins and I can usually find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of time. Their buyers/sellers fees are quite reasonable and they offer great customer service. I've bought and sold through Great Collections and I would recommend them to everyone!

What are good auction houses to use to search and get coins besides Hertiage Auction?

I have personally used Invaluable.com to go and find and win coins. it is a fairly simple and easy auction house to use. I have 16 approved auctions that I can go to and have already won 41 different lots. What are you opinions on this type of auction? I wont use ebay every again.

Thanks

kevin Callaway

Can you provide links to a few items you have won?

You asked this question under the US coin section but generically, I would say it depends upon what you want to buy. Heritage is at the top of my list but there are also others that specialize in a particular area(s) that are worth considering. For example, for Spanish and Spanish colonial coins, Aereo & Calico and Daniel Sedwick. For British and British Commonwealth, Dix Noonan Webb.

I also would not disqualify eBay. Many do not like it but it really depends upon the particular seller. Some are fair and reliable and others not. I have bought many coins through it with no problems.

Scotsman

Great Collections

Legend Auctions

Stacks-Bowers

baldwins

sonnyhenrys

goldbergcoins

spinks

CNG

Hi Michael,

Of the last five on your list, four of them are new to me (I knew but had forgotten about Goldberg's). Would you mind posting links or more information about the others? I would just Google them myself, but sometimes similar sounding web addresses/URLs can lead to organizations other than those intended (e.g. knock-off sites).

I know Sonny Henry and in my opinion he is one of the good guys, honest hard working and dedicated.

No one has mentioned Morphy's while they do not specialize in coins, they do have coin auctions from time to time.

All the auctioneers listed so far typically deal in higher priced merchandise, you probably won't find bulk lots or album coins in their sales.

I know Sonny Henry and in my opinion he is one of the good guys, honest hard working and dedicated.

No one has mentioned Morphy's while they do not specialize in coins, they do have coin auctions from time to time.

All the auctioneers listed so far typically deal in higher priced merchandise, you probably won't find bulk lots or album coins in their sales.

I believe that the Morphy coin auctions were in conjunction with Legend. And that now, Legend conducts the sales on their own.

I believe that the Morphy coin auctions were in conjunction with Legend. And that now, Legend conducts the sales on their own.

I'm sure they had some kind of arrangement and maybe they still do, the software Legend is using looks a lot like Morphy's

Morphy's has a couple nice coins and currency lots photographed for their Aug 30-31 sale.....

If you like Invaluable.com , you should also visit icollector.com and proxibid.com.

A word of warning - all 3 of these are websites that link and provide live auction bidding (and pre-bidding) to companies around the world. Some of these company's are good and some are bad (description, pictures, shipping,...)

When dealing with an auction company it was news to me that some companies sell and also auction off coins that they themselves own without

disclosure. In this case an auction company and confidant is acting as both buyer, seller and advisor.

Also remember that some of these different companies own large stack in each

other. I was told by one auction owner they owned 30% of NGC. Others sit on various boards of grading companies and companies such as CAC.

I wish I could understand how this can work without oversight.

A watchdog committee should be formed ( funding available) of honest collectors, watching auctions,sales, buying, ect....

When dealing with an auction company it was news to me that some companies sell and also auction off coins that they themselves own without disclosure. In this case an auction company and confidant is acting as both buyer, seller and advisor.

I agree that there is a "conflict of interest" scenario in those situations. Fortunately, if the auction house in question fails to behave responsibly, the market does a pretty good job of putting them out of business in rapid fashion. It's happened to some companies in the past.

We sell some of our company-owned coins at Scotsman, but I personally do not believe it is necessary to disclose which ones those are. After all, the auction company does not "force" you to bid to a certain level - YOU decide that.

Also remember that some of these different companies own large stack in each other. I was told by one auction owner they owned 30% of NGC. Others sit on various boards of grading companies and companies such as CAC.

Here again, I do agree with your apparent insinuation that there could be a conflict of interest situation.

I wish I could understand how this can work without oversight. A watchdog committee should be formed ( funding available) of honest collectors, watching auctions,sales, buying, ect....

Well, again, you as a collector are not FORCED to participate in auctions, nor are you forced to place bids at a certain level. Participation is entirely YOUR decision. So why should there be a watchdog group to watch auction houses that have zero power to force you to do anything you don't want to do?

Indeed, why not form a watchdog group that watches over BIDDERS who have a tendency to overbid?? That, more than anything else, could be a factor that can cause disruption in the market.

I am not saying you are wrong in your assertions, but the reasons you propose seem a bit iffy.