• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

you decide if I open this

31 posts in this topic

Finally got him to sell me one.... Lagoon Beach....sounds humid :). I'll be home by 8pm EST if I have five opens by then I'll open it tonight and post results

IMG_20140715_182450_742_zpse404fbce.jpg

I literally do not even know what it is.... ALL I KNOW IS I WANT SOOOO BADLY TO SEE WHAT IS INSIDE... OPEN!

OPEN

OPEN

OPEN

OPEN

;)

2-cent inside?

Ahhh...an end of the year mint set. (Washington PO = Treasury)

It won't get any better in the envelope.

Should be a mint set = Washington postmark. Proof set should = Philadelphia.

Although, it might be someone's 60 year old moonpie.

As the old addage says. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I do not beleive I gained lol. The results are think are expected. Nothing mind blowing good or bad. Nice color on both boards. No monsters. Limited FBL and FB coins. As expected no FS coins. I plan to leave the set the way it is prolly. Although one dime is immaculate and has FB. Just can't break it up over a dime ya know. Thanks for viewing.

IMG_20140715_200427484_zps610dd09d.jpg

As the old addage says. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I do not beleive I gained lol. The results are think are expected. Nothing mind blowing good or bad. Nice color on both boards. No monsters. Limited FBL and FB coins. As expected no FS coins. I plan to leave the set the way it is prolly. Although one dime is immaculate and has FB. Just can't break it up over a dime ya know. Thanks for viewing.

IMG_20140715_200427484_zps610dd09d.jpg

I bet you open all the children's' gifts on Christmas Eve, don't you....your restraint is Legend! :banana:

Yep, looks like a legit 59' mint set to me. Open it!!!!! lol

Your Faith has inspired me to part the Waters of the Potomac and declare all that emanates from its emirates as original. :whee:

:signfunny:

The set is a 1958 P/D MINT SET. The Mint sets are distinguished by the thickness of the cardboards inside and as was stated, the postmark. Proof sets come in cello.

Mint sets from this era that remain in the cardboards and mint paper will tone to the point where they will "overcook" if they are not eventually removed. My recommendation would be to carefully remove the coins and store them in something more stable. Capitol makes holders that are pretty good for sets like these. Obviously retain all the original packaging in the event you ever elect to sell.

These are going for about $400 right now, unopened these's a real gamble yet many want a premium.

Nice buy.

I thought these came in cello packs?

You're thinking of the 1958 proof set. I don't know where the cutoff was for the cello mint sets, but I do know that the 1958 mint set didn't come in cellophane.

Edited: Here are some of my mint set toned coins from this year; I don't think cellophane could produce this pattern.

55_True_View_zps816d441a.jpg

Consignments143324_zpsb8c0ef6b.jpg

Consignments143322_zps8806a6d1.jpg

53_rev_SC_zpsf0e9230f.jpg

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I do not beleive I gained lol...

Unless you paid an extravagant premium, it doesn't look like anything was lost either. I like the coins and the set very much.

I don't know where the cutoff was for the cello mint sets, but I do know that the 1958 mint set didn't come in cellophane.

1958 was the last year for the double set in the cardboard holder. The 1959 mint sets were single coin from each mint and package in the cello packs.