• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858-S Seated Liberty Half dollar for the Registry Set.

11 posts in this topic

Just so you won't think that all I'm collecting these days are raw Washingtons, ;) one of the sets I've been trying to put together for the last few years has been a business strike 1858 set. There are 29 potential slots in the set. The set I'm building will never be "complete" as there are a couple of gold coins that are prohibitively priced for me. There are also a fair amount of branch mint coins that get rather pricey once you get above a VF. So, the way I've decided to build the set is to set a top dollar value I'm willing to spend for denominations across the board, and then within that buy a coin that is appealing to me. That means that the coin quality within the set will range quite a bit, from roughly F15 to MS65. Here is the 1858-S SL half dollar for the set. It is graded MS61. The S mint half is BY FAR the rarest of the 1858 halves. Also, once you get into UNC grades even that small population drops way off. PCGS has graded 15 MS60 or higher, and NGC has graded 13 MS60 or higher. This one is graded NGC MS61. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he has done an excellent job. In the images there is some haze by Liberty's bust and midsection, that is caused by scratching on the slab.

bc1858S_61SLHo5_2_zps024a44a7.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHo6_1_zps6cc91b22.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHr4Dirty_zps82130f67.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHr7Col_zps8bd6b314.jpg

Just so you won't think that all I'm collecting these days are raw Washingtons, ;) one of the sets I've been trying to put together for the last few years has been a business strike 1858 set. There are 29 potential slots in the set. The set I'm building will never be "complete" as there are a couple of gold coins that are prohibitively priced for me. There are also a fair amount of branch mint coins that get rather pricey once you get above a VF. So, the way I've decided to build the set is to set a top dollar value I'm willing to spend for denominations across the board, and then within that buy a coin that is appealing to me. That means that the coin quality within the set will range quite a bit, from roughly F15 to MS65. Here is the 1858-S SL half dollar for the set. It is graded MS61. The S mint half is BY FAR the rarest of the 1858 halves. Also, once you get into UNC grades even that small population drops way off. PCGS has graded 15 MS60 or higher, and NGC has graded 13 MS60 or higher. This one is graded NGC MS61. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he has done an excellent job. In the images there is some haze by Liberty's bust and midsection, that is caused by scratching on the slab.

bc1858S_61SLHo5_2_zps024a44a7.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHo6_1_zps6cc91b22.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHr4Dirty_zps82130f67.jpg

bc1858S_61SLHr7Col_zps8bd6b314.jpg

How many coins u need?

My gosh that is SCARCE----I didn't even believe you, as I had to look it up for myself. lol I had NO IDEA. As much as I like the other coins that you have posted this one is far and above THE BEST so far. That and the fact that the Seated Liberty design is one of my very favorite of ALL designs!! PHENOMENAL pickup!!!! (worship) It looks wonderful for a 61, too.

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

How many coins u need?

I've still got a LONGGGGG way to go. I've filled 10 of the 29 slots (2 of which are "unfillable" for me). I may have it finished in another couple of decades...

Nice coin! (Is that the famous "Two Obverse/Two Reverse" coin we haven't heard about?)

Nice coin! (Is that the famous "Two Obverse/Two Reverse" coin we haven't heard about?)

It works on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle... it could be one sided, or two sided, or three sided, or...

How many coins u need?

I've still got a LONGGGGG way to go. I've filled 10 of the 29 slots (2 of which are "unfillable" for me). I may have it finished in another couple of decades...

Im not familiar with the series but which 2 are unfillable?

As long as "Heisenberg's Cat" remains both dead and alive, I hope Schrödinger likes the coin or no coin.

That also raises the deeper question: "If Schrödinger had been a coin collector, would Heisenberg have excluded him just on principle?"

As long as "Heisenberg's Cat" remains both dead and alive, I hope Schrödinger likes the coin or no coin.

That also raises the deeper question: "If Schrödinger had been a coin collector, would Heisenberg have excluded him just on principle?"

Wooooops. You are right, brain fart on my end, I meant Schrodinger's cat. (Even though I know, hopefully, the location of the coin).

How many coins u need?

Im not familiar with the series but which 2 are unfillable?

The two that cost more than I am willing to pay for in the assigned grade are the $10 P gold, which in F-12 is currently (PCGS price guide) $5,250, and the $20 O mint gold, which in VF25 is $4,250. I really want all coins to be at least VF in the set. The O mint I'm more on the border on, as clearly a good chunk of the underlying value is the gold itself, so I might "gift" myself it for a birthday present at some point in time.