• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have any coins certified?

11 posts in this topic

I have some BU Kruggerands, Maple leafs, bought in tubes.

I also have some Panda's in their original packaging.

If I ever decided to sell any of these coins .....

I would assume the Leafs and Krugs generally sell near spot minus a melt so grading is pointless?

Am I better off leaving the Pandas in the sealed plastic that they came in rather than having them certified?

Thnx

My opinion is to leave them as they are. Others will likely offer other suggestions.

While I'm not active in this market, I understand that Pandas are traded differently from Krugs and Maple Leaves.

I would consult people who are active in the Panda market.

For example, you might look at some recent sales on eBay to see how various dates traded.

I can't comment on your Kruggerands or Maple leafs but I have a set of certified 10 Yuan Silver Pandas (2002 - 2014) so I can vouch for the high grade ones selling well above melt. Some silver pandas suffer from whitish surface toning spots ("milk spots") so any that you think might get high grades should probably be conserved to prevent the surface from being permanently damaged.

NGC has a separate listing of Silver Panda Coin Prices

BTW this thread should be moved to the World Coin forum.

~jack

Very few of those bring premiums, I would check out the Apmex.com site for those that do bring premiums. I got a significant premium for a Krugerrand that graded high, but that is a significant anomaly. Leave Pandas in the plastic, some bring premiums if they get a 70, otherwise the sealed plastic is how they trade. There are strong buyers on the better dates like 1982.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I will add that I have some gold Buff's (1 oz) in sealed plastic sheets,

Should I leave those in the plastic as well? Sometimes I wonder if slabbing the coins would make them easier to store?

Very few of those bring premiums, I would check out the Apmex.com site for those that do bring premiums. I got a significant premium for a Krugerrand that graded high, but that is a significant anomaly. Leave Pandas in the plastic, some bring premiums if they get a 70, otherwise the sealed plastic is how they trade. There are strong buyers on the better dates like 1982.

Yes the Pandas are relatively new (2008) so I guess I might as well leave the coins in the plastic.