• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Canada 1 CENT Registry Set posted by Augustus

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Need some advice from collectors/investors/hobbyists

Hello,

I am building a registry set through a fund. We have several complete high grade modern sets. However, many coins are graded by PCGS. Has anyone had experience crossing these coins over? Is it worth it? These are client coins, and I am hestitant to reholder them unless they grade higher.

Thanks in advance,

JGG

15699.jpg

See more journals by Augustus

Hi JGG,

If you're concerned about getting a higher grade, I'd leave them as they are. I do a lot with non-US coins here at NGC, and I can tell you that NGC and PCGS's standards for World coins are much, much different with NGC's standards being stricter in most cases. I know of a collector on here that had an absolute nightmare crossing PCGS graded cameo early Canadian Prooflike coins due to the differences in standards between the two companies, and he lost a lot of value due to NGC's definition of a cameo PL strike being tougher than PCGS's. However, that said, it's been my experience that high grade or rare World coins don't move as well in PCGS holders as they do in NGC holders. German coins are one of my main areas of numismatic specialty and I can't tell you how many times I've seen rare German coins in PCGS holders that sellers just cannot move while the same coins in NGC holders move much more quickly and easily. So, crossing them might be something to consider if liquidity is important to your client. It's something of a Catch-22. The PCGS grade assigned will likely be higher than that of NGC, but the coins will be easier to sell graded by NGC. So I guess your client will have to decide what's most important to them.

I hope this helps. I've been very active in World Coins since 2009 and this has been my honest experience and I put my money where my mouth is.....I don't have a single PCGS graded non-US coin in my collection.

~Tom

PCGS coins can be included in custom sets so you do have an option to display them together.

I have a few PCGS coins that are graded higher than my NGC coins in my competitive world sets but I haven't thought it worthwhile to cross them over.

Tom has made a good point about certain coin types and the different grading standards. I can only comment on Spanish Colonial 8 reales where they seem to be very close and command similar prices.

You can set the minimum grade on the cross over to be the grade on the PCGS holder, that way you will get the same or higher grade from NGC or they will return your coin in it's PCGS holder.

~jack

Jack,

good call on that my friend!! I didn't even think of that option......I think that might be the best solution for you JGG. And back to Jack.....that's interesting to know about the standards between the two companies with 8 Reales. I've heard that their standards are closer to one another with some World series. With German and Ottoman, PCGS is essentially the kiss of death unless you want to participate in their Registry with those coins.

~Tom

From experience..... I would not do it.

I submitted 6 PCGS Newfoundland coins last year and here is what happen. See if you can notice a pattern.

1929 1¢ - PCGS MS-65 -> NGC MS-64

1872 10¢ - PCGS XF-45 -> NGC XF-40

1873 20¢ - PCGS VF-30 -> NGC VF-20

1870 50¢ - PCGS VF-35 -> NGC VF-30

1876 50¢ - PCGS VF-35 -> NGC VF-30

1908 50¢ - PCGS XF-40 -> NGC VF-35

Anyone see a pattern here?

I learned a good lesson with that batch. Also I had submitted a PCGS Newfoundland 1882-H $2 Gold in AU-58 with that batch and it did not cross. They claimed it was questionable color and would not grade which I found interesting because that particular coin I had just obtained from Heritage and the auction description listed it as gorgeous toning with hints of red with luster remaining. Go figure.

So I would be hesitant to submit any PCGS coins for cross. Maybe it's different for moderns.

Anyone else had this type of experience?

Have a great day

Jim

There is an interesting thread ATS on the PCGS site that basically proclaims the opposite -- that PCGS is more strict that NGC. Many of us chimed in there with our opposite view (that NGC is stricter than PCGS) -- yet this guy's opinions persisted quite strongly.

Long story short, I agree with those who have posted here. NGC has a much longer history of grading world coins and I find them to be more consistent and more in line with my personal grading of world coins. I do have some PCGS coins in my collection, but I am very careful when purchasing them. In the end, there is no substitute for knowing your area of collecting better than the TPGs. :)

Yes interesting thread brg5658. But I do have mixed feelings about the crossing over. I don't feel that NGC even evaluated the coins. The reason I say that is the results.

I have a considerable amount of Newfoundland coins (see my registry sets) both raw and in NGC and yes still a good number in PCGS holders. I have enough to be able to compare and I know for the most part just what grades coins I submit will come back as. With that batch I submitted it is blatantly obvious what transpired at the grading table with these 6 coins.

And if you want to talk consistency look at the photos in my registry sets. I image every single coin in my sets, 90 percent of the coins you see in my sets *I* submitted over the past three or four years. There are some that just are unexplainable and I usually mention it in the coins description. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining because sometimes it's in my favor. Last year I got a coin back that actually made me say WFT? It was a coin that came back EF-40 and it was clearly an F-15 maybe a VF-20 on a good day going down hill with a strong wind at its back. One batch I got several details coins back (typical for Newfoundlands) but one of the coins that got details did not deserve the details grade and one of the coins that DID NOT get a details grade had a huge gouge on the obverse. I usually submit 10 - 20 coins at a time and there is always one or two that make me say HUH? - Oh I am rambling sorry....

Jim