• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1912 2 1/2 dollar gold

16 posts in this topic

this coin is in a problem free anacs holder. what grade would you give it and what would be a fair price to pay for it? Thanks Jerry DSC01819_zps48bf434a.jpg DSC01820_zpsff218a20.jpg

The pics are very nice! But it's almost impossible (for me, at least) to grade these from pics.

My guess is AU58

To me, a fair price would be just around $300.

The pics are very nice! But it's almost impossible (for me, at least) to grade these from pics.

My guess is AU58

To me, a fair price would be just around $300.

I have been looking at a few of these lately but I am far from an expert also. From the ones I have seen, this one looks closer to AU to me. Can't guess a good price on it tho.

Thanks everyone for your grading opinions. This coin was graded AU 50 by anacs. Seems a bit undergraded to me.

Thanks everyone for your grading opinions. This coin was graded AU 50 by anacs. Seems a bit undergraded to me.

Not really. It may warrant a 53, but a low AU was what I was going to guess. It is definitely not worth regrading, as the price is fairly flat on these.

Yes that seems low – however seeing the coin in hand and grading from pictures are totally different.

There is only approximately a $50 difference in value between an AU50 and an MS60. So even if the coin is under-graded, the cost for a re-grade is too much, relative to the potential upside.

The reverse fields are kind of chewed up. Other than that it looks AU55 to me.

That was my guess as well.

jom

My grade would be AU-55. Gray Sheet AU-50 grade is $255 and AU-58 bid is only $260 unless that is a typo. I'd have to say that you looking at about $245 or so. The margins on this type of material are very small for all concerned, unless PCGS and NGC grades it Mint State, but I really don't think that would be a fair grade for it.

Here is the 1912 quarter eagle, which is in my raw set, which I would grade AU-58. It might get a low Mint State grade on a good day. I think that is just a little too much rub on the cheekbone to quite make Mint State.

1912250O_zps9ca6728e.jpg1912250R_zps92fa183f.jpg