• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicken Wings & Very Old Coin!

8 posts in this topic

A neat lunch time find!

The other day I left my office to run some errands during lunch. In the process, I grabbed lunch at a local Buffalo Wild Wings. I was craving some spicy garlic bone-in wings and figured I would grab a bite to eat in route to the various stores I needed to visit. Upon asking for the bill, I decided to pay cash and gave the waiter a $20. He brought back my change and I noticed a very large penny in the bunch or what appeared to be a penny. My initial thought prior to picking it up was that it was some type of foreign modern coinage such as a coin from Canada that we get in our change from time-to-time. I then conjectured it was a Euro of some denomination. As I pulled the coin out of the pile of change on the tray I then thought "Is this a large US cent??? No way!"

After further investigation, I could tell it was from Switzerland but what knocked me out of my seat was the date on it! I did a double take to ensure I was reading it correct and sure enough my find was minted in 1883 with a mint mark of "B" on the reverse. After arriving back at the office I did some research using the coin explorer and discovered that this was a bronze coin with the denomination of 2 Rappen. The strike was rather nice and I figured it was in the 40 to 50 range. Given the find, I knew I was about to lose money getting it graded but it was worth it!

At first I was going to send the coin into NCS but my general observation suggested I should go the NGC route. I was wrong. I got an email saying there was PVC residue on the coin and they recommended going the NCS route first to attempt to conserve the coin. I was extremely pleased with their customer service and communication on this job. I now own the only 1883B Switzerland 2 RP graded in XF 45 BN. Population 1!

The reason I share this story is not to promote the value of the coin which is well below my cost to conserve and grade but the intangible value of the experience. As a collector I am solely focused on US coins however this coin ranks out as one of the neat finds I never anticipated. I still often contemplate the probability of such a find. 1883....that is a 131 year old piece of history found in the change tray of a chicken wing restaurant!

15682.JPG

See more journals by Durham Collection

That is an amazing find! How did it get out of someone's PVC flip and into general circulation? Did you buy a lottery ticket, too?

~jack

Very nice find and a great lunch as well.

Maybe I should visit our local establishment more often! You reckon?

Have a great one...

Michael

I love when these things happen...by the way, our hockey team-the Washington Capitals always give away a free order of buffalo wild wings if the Caps score 5 goals an win the game. After the 4th goal the chanting starts, "We Want Wings" We Want Wings" !!

PS: We often get 5 goals since the caps are annually one of the highest scoring teams in the league--unfortunately, lately, we might be giving up 6 goals---sorry for the slightly off topic reply.