• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealers, AND non-dealers, when you decide to sell a coin.....

7 posts in this topic

how do YOU go about setting prices?

It is one thing if it is "generic", a "widget", a "modern flappable", but what about when it isn't a rarity, but the price guides are off (you believe), the toning makes it a bit unique (maybe not a monster, but still nice), and/or the coin (year/mm/type) doesn't trade that often (but it isn't rare...say, IHC Proof or Matte Lincolns, etc)?

I'd like to hear from both dealers and non-dealers about your processes as you go to price.

It would be nice if you mentioned whether you were doing it from a dealer standpoint or from a collector/non-dealer standpoint.

In the past, I have sold very few coins, aside from mint flippables, and those are easy to price. When I have sold them, it has usually been in person to board members I met at shows, or a couple online here where I have take pictures and priced it to where I valued the coin (not from a pure monetary viewpoint, but from how much I liked it and how replaceable, if I wanted another, I would find it).

Thoughts?

I sell small value coins (generally under $100) with some regularity. I depend upon the CDN 90% of the time to determine bid. If it's an E-bay sale

bid is usually about right to start.

I will also sell in a variety of auctions where I have first hand knowledge of what types of coins bring the strongest prices. They are assigned accordingly with reserves @ bid or just above when appropriate. This method might be the most appropriate for you given the ability to set reserves. The best auctions have a live audience and they post decent pictures for bidders on Proxybid. I have (on occasion) been very pleased using this method.

Nicely toned coins go to Kryptonitecomics. He has a pretty good following that I don't think can be exceeded by any other sales method I have available. His customers will make the determination whether the toning deserves a premium and normally I agree with the results.

I let the buyer talk until they have talked themselves into buying the coin - then price doesn't matter.

I have sold through a variety of ways----coin shows, local B &Ms and the internet. I have had luck by researching 'prices realized archives' and usually selling for 90%-100% of that, if the stuff is PQ and, sometimes, I even make a little bit of money, if I bought low enough.

Low dollar coins are easy, as the disparity really comes with the higher dollar pieces. i.e. 10% of a 100 is much easier to swallow than 10% of 15000!! I don't use big auction houses, as the 17.5% buyers' premium is too hard to overcome without LOSING money, unless I have held material for a long while and/or purchased very LOW.

On the coins that I have held for 10+ years I have almost always MADE money. Like a dealer----It really depends on what you have into a coin before you can start to think about making a profit or not. i.e. there are some coins that I could sell tomorrow for almost double what I have into them, yet others, I paid a HUGE premium for, because I 'LIKED' them and it didn't matter to me, as I am in it for the LONG TERM.

Aside from a favorite local dealer----I don't think that I ever sold to the same dealer more than once or twice.

Get your better stuff CERTIFIED, as a dealer will almost NEVER pay more than MS 60 price for an MS piece, even if it is a TECHNICAL MS 65!!

BOTTOM LINE-----know what your stuff is worth and shop around and WAIT for the best price. There isn't a reason in the world for you to be FLEECED of your coins OR your cash. And NEVER put yourself in the position that you need money right away. (tsk) JMHO. 2c

Thanks for the posts and thoughts!

I have some 1/2c dupes that I may be selling in the near future, and a few other coins, that is why I asked the question.

Bochiman,

Plenty of good answers above!! Maybe someone here could even help you with the tough starting prices you are trying to figure out. 1/2 cent pieces should be fun to price and sell.

Good Luck!! :)

That was actually one of the coins I'd had in mind with my comments. I attend an auction where copper (and in particular half cents) are a crowd favorite. The Auctioneer allows reserves and his Sellers premiums are reasonable for coins hammering above $100.

As long as the reserves set aren't unreasonable, you'll get FMV or above.

Sonny Henry Auctions, Lasalle, Ill.

Google is your friend.