• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof or Mint State Lincoln...

18 posts in this topic

Bought it for the color but I was wondering if its a proof or mint state coin...

I know about looking for square rims but Im not sure if these are squared. She looks proof. I can imagine this toning coming from tissue paper I believe these were wrapped in but who knows.

Anyone good with proof Lincolns ? Thanks.

768784749_o.jpg

768784754_o.jpg

Your pictures are not good enough to call this proof or MS with 100% certainty, however biased on these pics the strike and surfaces could be of proof quality.

Your pictures are not good enough to call this proof or MS with 100% certainty, however biased on these pics the strike and surfaces could be of proof quality.

I agree and am leaning towards calling it a proof as well based on the strike and surface characteristics you allude to above.

Proof... I say capitol plastic

Those certainly are freaky-looking colors. I've got pastel-colored cents like that, too, though not nearly as brilliant. You're saying the holder did that?

Sellers photos... They are all I had to go off of as well. As for the color I don't know proof Lincoln toning so I'm taking a gamble but if I had to guess what caused it - I would say tissue paper or it's AT - I don't know.

I've seen that kind of toning on MS Lincolns which is why I'm shying away from calling it a proof.

Yeah thats true come to think of it. I've seen similar colors on MS examples but just not as vibrant. They've been more muted colors. And on 1950s Lincolns that picked up the toning from the Mint sets.

something don't jive (reflective fields, odd mint set color, inside rim not aquare)

I suspect could get BB, but not sure what - altered surface. cleaned, AT

show pics when it arrives

Based on those pics, My opinion is that is a PROOF. The reverse is really what makes me go from being on the fence, to... yeah, definitely a proof.

Well Im not an expert on Lincolns but in hand it certainly looks proof. I will submit it at a later date though.

It has the one spot on the Lincoln's lapel. I dont know if that will keep it from grading or just lower the grade.

Ive seen toned proof 39s go for nice change even in the PF 63/64 range. And those coins werent as vivid so this one is a keeper.

I for one feel the surface quality shows proof. Even though the rims are not fully squared it's quite possible that that is from a not full strike.