• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS penalty ?

12 posts in this topic

the PCGS penatly takes form in the point calculation in grade rarity. Easy example is proof state quarters. PCGS has only graded 50 in PR70DCAM, whereas, NGC has graded well over 1,200 in PF70UC. Your PCGS coin gets same score. But overall it's fair, except in what NGC considers minor coins-Dimes, Quarters Jeffs. No distinction is made whether you have a PR60 or PR69DCAM, same score. NGC feels that there is a very small difffernce in quality between a PR60 no cam Washington quarter versus a PR69DCAM Washington, per DW Lange.

Very aware of price differential. Probably 70% of my 225+ coins are PCGS. Was referring to PCGS coins. DW Lange's response was a result of my question on minor PCGS Coins. My quarters, Proof Eagles, Ikes, SBA's, FS Jeff's and about 40 of my 87 modern commemoratives are are PCGS coins. Not sure I completely understand you reply. But thank you for your response, kind of proves my point.

You also lose the price difference. PCGS coins sell for more. So you lose the market price factor.

Of course PCGS coins will sell for more. You send in an MS65 coin to NGC and they slab it as MS65. You send in an MS65 coin to PCGS and after the first two bodybags, they grade it MS64. This coin enters the marketplace as an MS64 and it sells for MS65 money. People point to this as PCGS coins bringing market premiums compared to NGC.

Of course, not too many people understand this.

I think that those who say they buy PCGS coins only are looking for a security blanket. The truth is there are a growing number of instances where NCG coins have higher bids on the Blue Sheet than the same issues in PCGS holders. If you examine your security blanket, you might find a few moth holes in it.

This especially true of colonial coins that are PCGS graded. Some of them are the pits, and not worth anywhere near their PCSG grade in "the real world." (Real world = knowledgeable colonial collectors and dealers) It's also true of some the misattributed PCGS coins that are consequently grossly over priced. NGC is FAR, FAR better than PCGS when it comes to variety attributions. I can't make overemphasize this point because PCGS has a very bad batting average in this regard.

If you think that PCGS is a superior product you have WAY overrated it. I have many NGC coins that I am proud to own. And it's been my experiece that in dealer to dealer transactions it's the COIN that makes the deal not the fact that it's PCGS or NGC.

In the trade, dealers call those who will buy only PCGS coins, PCGS wiennies. Believe me it's not a compliment.

The truth is there are a growing number of instances where NCG coins have higher bids on the Blue Sheet than the same issues in PCGS holders.

Please report any of these to PCGS and they will clamp down on their grading of this series so the PCGS prices can rise above that of NGC.