• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missouri newp

8 posts in this topic

Wow, that is an amazing piece! Gotta be at least a 65. If not for that disturbance in the right field I would have needed a second drool cup!

Oh yea... decent pics btw! ;)

It's a very nice piece, and if it had more flashy luster,

it would have graded higher. I loved the piece when I

bought it and I am glad you like it as well.

( Afterall, you imaged it for me when I bought it !! )

A nice example. These usually come dark or splotchy. Tough to find nice. A coin I'm in search of.

(thumbs u

100_0781.jpg

“An illustration of the coin in the advertisement of the Centennial Committee of the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce in this issue shows an entirely different reverse. This is explained by Mr. M.V. Carroll, secretary of the committee, in the following letter:

“The artist who designed the coin sent us a proof of his drawing as soon as completed, and we had the cut made. Later, and unknown to us, the Mint committee having jurisdiction over these matters changed the design by eliminating the Missouri coat of arms and substituting therefore the figures of a white man and an Indian as typifying the pioneer status of the State. We were not aware of this change until the first sample coin arrived here, and then did not have time to have new cuts made.” Courtesy The Numismatist, August, 1921, p. 340-341.

IMGP0688A.jpg

Sketch by Robert Aitken for reverse of Missouri Centennial half dollar. Taxay p. 55.

.... Regarding the reverse of the coins previously illustrated in the advertisement of the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce in THE NUMISMATIST, to which we have called attention before, Mr. Aitken writes as follows:

“The illustration that you published was made from one of several drawings which I submitted to the Federal Art Commission. The Missouri committee was informed that I would work along these lines, though I was given full latitude for any change I might advise. The seal of the State did not work out well, so I developed the reverse with the two standing figures, which met with the instant approval of the Commission in Washington.”

The illustration in the advertisement was made from one of the drawings submitted by Mr. Aitken, which it was expected he would finally decide on, but which he later decided to discard and to use the design as it appears on the coin. Courtesy The Numismatist, A “Variety” of the Missouri Centennial Half Dollar, December, 1921, p. 575.

Sweet looking Commem. Good luck with your Gettysburg and Hawaiian. With your connections and eye for coins, I'm sure they'll be fantastic.